Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Discover

I've been searching the forums for help on this phone, but I think I'm the only person that has one. =-O
    Searching my questions on Google mostly led me to AC which has been a great help so I decided to join. :-)
    To the point. I've been looking for different apps to keep my Android safe and running smooth. There are loads of different opinions. For example, using a task manager/killer. Some people recommend using one, but I've also read that Android does this by itself. Do I or don't I? Since I just got the phone I don't have many apps. Just the FB app, a flashlight app, Zedge app and the AC app. I want to try other apps and games but my phone only has 2.4 gb of internal memory, and from what I can see, there is no option to save apps to my sd card. I just want to have fun with my Android without killing it. Which leads me to anti virus programs. Do I need one of those? I'll pay for an app thats needed but do I really need one?
    Sorry for the long winded post... Help me AC guru's. Your my only hope.

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Discover

You do not need a task killer or task manager, or an antivirus. If you stick to just downloading stuff from the play store and not anywhere else, and don't click on sketchy links then you should be fine. You just have to be careful. Otherwise, or just to be safe, you can download an antivirus. If you are going to download one, I recommend avast antivirus.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well that makes me feel better. My last phone was a Razor, a LONG time ago. I didn't see the need for a phone until recently and WOW have they changed! o_O
    So I was planning on only downloading apps from the Play Store anyway so I'm safe there. As for the internal/external memory, do I have any control over where an app goes?

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Trying not to ask too many question at one time, but:
    1. Should I fully discharge my battery from time to time or just charge it when it says? To maximize battery life.
    2. Would tips on a different Samsung phone (ie; Galaxy S series) apply to my phone?

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well it seems that fully discharging your battery is a really bad thing. Sorry for asking a question that has clearly been answered.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx Quinn View Post
    Trying not to ask too many question at one time, but:
    1. Should I fully discharge my battery from time to time or just charge it when it says? To maximize battery life.
    2. Would tips on a different Samsung phone (ie; Galaxy S series) apply to my phone?

Well it seems that fully discharging your battery is a really bad thing. Sorry for asking a question that has clearly been answered.

Hey, I see you jumped in to some questions.

1. As you already found out, no. General agreement is charge when somewhat low about 25%. Some sites say once a month bring it to about 5% but never til it dies.
    2. Depending on the tips, most likely. From a software side, it's all Android, and most of the things are going to be the same. Certain things are going to be Samsung specific, but many things you read will be pretty universal.
    3. Your first post about apps. FB, fine; flashlight, careful, that can drain your battery pretty quickly, and prolonged led use can cause a burnout but otherwise can be handy; Zedge, excellent app for pics and ringtones to make your phone more like yours; AC app is a must. Especially if you are going to tour the forums a lot.
    I would also suggest an Anti Virus app. Most of the apps you listed aren't bug, even the Anti Virus apps. I have AVG, and that tells me if an app is going to have a lot of ads and crap like that on it.

Stick to the Play Store for your apps.

Hope to see you around the forums!

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    Scott Kenyon likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for the info, Golf. I'll be sure to stick with the Play Store for my apps. I'm also going to try the AVG. Can't hurt to have a good anti-virus app. I'll keep ya'll updated. :-)

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks for the info, Golf. I'll be sure to stick with the Play Store for my apps. I'm also going to try the AVG. Can't hurt to have a good anti-virus app. I'll keep ya'll updated. :-)

Awesome. How are you liking the device so far?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    Jynx Quinn likes this.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Keep in mind, with updates to TouchWiz and Android, menu options may have changed or just outright differ. If you're having a problem finding a setting or toggle explore around settings in similar menus.
    Don't be afraid to ask, either. I see you're asking already and that's a good thing!

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Awesome. How are you liking the device so far?
    OMG!!! This isn't a phone. It's a mini computer. I can't get off this thing! I love it! It's like getting your most favorite toy for Xmas. :-P
    And, thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll definately keep that in mind. That will help when I'm trying to find my way through the menus. :-)
    So, here's a question. I'm downloading apps just to try some of them out. A few different pdf readers, notepads, voice recorders, to see which one I want to keep and uninstalling the rest. Is this a bad thing? Are there hidden files left on my phone taking space, possibly slowing my phone down in the future?

Installing and then uninstalling an app shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes a user data folder will be left behind after uninstalling, but it usually takes up minimal space. If you use a file manager app, you can search your internal memory or external SD card for any folder that can be identified as belonging to that uninstalled app. Make sure the folder has the name of the app or app developer, because you don't want to delete folders that are important for other apps, especially system apps.

Also make sure you're installing from reliable sources like Google Play or Amazon Appstore. Other sources can put you at risk for malware.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app
    Jynx Quinn likes this.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

OMG!!! This isn't a phone. It's a mini computer. I can't get off this thing! I love it! It's like getting your most favorite toy for Xmas. :-P
    And, thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll definately keep that in mind. That will help when I'm trying to find my way through the menus. :-)
    So, here's a question. I'm downloading apps just to try some of them out. A few different pdf readers, notepads, voice recorders, to see which one I want to keep and uninstalling the rest. Is this a bad thing? Are there hidden files left on my phone taking space, possibly slowing my phone down in the future?

Nothing wrong with downloading different apps and then deleting. As for PDF, try Kingsoft. That app allows for editing, and can view Microsoft documents.

Thanked by 2:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Nothing wrong with downloading different apps and then deleting. As for PDF, try Kingsoft. That app allows for editing, and can view Microsoft documents.
    One word for Kingsoft: Amazing!!! Makes Adobe Reader look silly. And it's only 2 mbs bigger. Great app! Thanks again, Golf!

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Installing and then uninstalling an app shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes a user data folder will be left behind after uninstalling, but it usually takes up minimal space. If you use a file manager app, you can search your internal memory or external SD card for any folder that can be identified as belonging to that uninstalled app. Make sure the folder has the name of the app or app developer, because you don't want to delete folders that are important for other apps, especially system apps.

Also make sure you're installing from reliable sources like Google Play or Amazon Appstore. Other sources can put you at risk for malware.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks for the info B. Diddy. Any file manager apps you would recommend?

I like because it's versatile and powerful, but the UI isn't very pretty, and commands aren't always intuitive. It's very lightweight, though, so it won't hog a lot of memory.

is always a good pick, as is .

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

One word for Kingsoft: Amazing!!! Makes Adobe Reader look silly. And it's only 2 mbs bigger. Great app! Thanks again, Golf!

I liked Kingsoft so much, I downloaded it for my PC as well.

i just bought the Galaxy Discover today. Prior to that I had the Blackberry Curve 8530 for like 3 yrs... So far, I am loving the Discover.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by GoodtoGo View Post
    i just bought the Galaxy Discover today. Prior to that I had the Blackberry Curve 8530 for like 3 yrs... So far, I am loving the Discover.
    Welcome to the forums!

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I also have the Samsung Discover, and am new here. How do I change where my aps, photos and videos are being stored? I want them to go to my SD card, but they seem to go to my phone's internal memory. There does not seem to be a file manager on this phone. Is that what Kingsoft is for? I am not a computer geek. Help!!

Welcome to Android Central! You can't store your apps on your external SD card unless you root the phone. You should be able to choose where your camera and video camera app store photos and videos you take--open the camera app, hit the menu or settings button, and look through that menu for an option to choose where to store photos/videos.

There are lots of good 3rd party file manager apps on Google Play. Two good ones are and .

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

On my Samsung Discover the storage options for photos or videos are phone or MMC. What is MMC? I am hoping it is my SD card?

Yes--MMC means MultiMedia Card.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

another question. What does " root " my phone mean? I feel silly asking.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

ok... search of you tube taught me what rooting my phone is for. It appears to be way beyond my needs.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I am looking for a free ap that will allow me to have an FM radio tuner on my galaxy discover. My previous samsung cell had FM tuner built in. I just spent quite some time searching in the google play store but can't find free FM tuner. HELP.
    p.s. Just did a search of the andriod forum and found out that samsung does not have build in FM tuners anymore. Why not? I like my local FM stations. I don't have data plan so I can't stream internet radio.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast