Tablet charging/usb hub?

Jutta Carl

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Greetings;
Probably a dumb question, however is it possible to charge and connect(at the same time) a USB hub for mouse and USB keyboard using an OTG cable? My new tablet has only a micro USB port for both charging and data. I know everyone dislikes tablets with dedicated charging ports, but I miss it. Thanks.
Regards

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Greetings;
Probably a dumb question, however is it possible to charge and connect(at the same time) a USB hub for mouse and USB keyboard using an OTG cable? My new tablet has only a micro USB port for both charging and data. I know everyone dislikes tablets with dedicated charging ports, but I miss it. Thanks.
Regards

It should charge, but it would also depend on the power output of the hub.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also hate relying on USB for charging, so you're not fully alone. ;)

What I would consider is using a powered USB hub just to be on the safe side. It would have its own dedicated wall power connection instead of relying on the computer to power several devices from the one port split up.

Jutta Carl

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Golfdriver97 and Mooncatt, will the powered USB hub charge the tablet while using the mouse and keyboard; I know, another dumb question!
Cheers

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It should because that's the reason to chose a powered over non-powered hubs. Though you do need to make sure it has a high enough power rating, preferably a rating per port. I haven't used one for this purpose, but I know they are recommended if running multiple devices that pull all of their power via USB like this and external hard drives. Non powered hubs are only good for small things like mice, keyboards, controllers, and webcams. If the hub isn't strong enough, you could see the charge level drop on the tablet. Worse case is you burn out the hub's power supply by working it to hard.

Jutta Carl

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Greetings srkmagnus;
I'm going with a Pluggable 7port High Speed. USB 2.0 Hub. With 3A Power adapter from Amazon for $19.95. I hope it will have enough power to charge the tablet as well as power a USB keyboard and mouse.
Regards

Jutta Carl

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Greetings srkmagnus;
Recieved the Plugable powered usb hub from amazon today,and am now using it with my new Lenovo S6000 tablet. I'm using a usb keyboard, mouse, and the 3A hub is charging the tablet as well. I'm a happy camper as I can now do more work on the tablet with no battery drain!
Regards

Jutta Carl

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Greetings srkmagnus;
Sorry, it seems I celebrated too soon. Using the powered hub and OTG cable allows me use of the mouse and keyboard, however tablet will not charge at the same time. I believe the tablet will not allow charging while using usb items. I suspect my next tablet purchase will be one with a dedicated charging port like my wife's Toshiba Excite.
Regard
Carl in Florida

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are OTG adapters that have charging ports, so you can use a USB device (or probably a hub) and charge the phone/tab at the same time. They're only a few dollars more than the non-powering ones. Look on Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa