Urgent new phone advice needed please. (UK)

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for advice on a new phone to buy for my dad who is 80 in a couple of weeks for his birthday. (Hence urgent.....)
I have no idea where to look to be honest, but hopefully someone may know or point me in the right direction. Someone else out there may have an elderly person who has an ***** proof one. (no offense dad.. :p )

The phone needs -

Android (any version, doesn't matter)
GPS
Camera (no preference on MP)
and BIG buttons to press to make a call.

All he needs to do is call and take pictures. The GPS is for us to track him just in case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta

*Edit* It starred out the word 'I D I O T' above for some reason. I wasn't swearing...

Last edited:

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You will hard time to search any android phone with physical buttons to pick up calls now days, Android still supports those buttons but only old phones had them, like Google G1 or G2, so i would search for some old android phone. Other solution would be learn you dad to use headphones physical buttons to pick up calls... but then he would need to use headphones

You might also try to find some phone specially design for elders.... but not android, you might find one with GPS tracking functions if you try hard, there ton of them now days and they pretty cheap, not to mention they a lot easier to use for elders

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I have been looking around but so hard to actually find and 'hold' a device to test it. It's my fault for leaving so late.

I didn't actually mean have big buttons, but big buttons on the screen. (some things he will have to learn). So there might be an app for that. I'll look.
Headphones is just another thing for him to carry.

I think (with his current learning ability) it would be very hard to teach him a new system like android, but with just the basics and no other apps it might be possible.
Shame, there might be a big market for devices for older people, that don't want all the other cool stuff we like. ie, he will NEVER play candy crush on it. Just the basics. (PS, I HATE CANDY CRUSH!!)

I'll keep looking, cheers.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe get something with a big screen and halfway decent camera. +1 on big launcher. Install that before gifting.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just get him an iPhone. It'll work, it'll be fairly intuitive at any age, and he'll have a lot of friends with iPhones to all for help if he needs it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance