Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Regaining Root???

So I recently updated my S4 unknowing that it would unroot my phone. I did have titanium backup, I heard if I had a backup of the binary files I could restore root access? Anyway, if I have to uninstall the update I will but I don't know how to do any of this. Someone please help...
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Regaining Root???

I went under About Phone and then under Updates. It said the update failed but when I hit k to check for new updates it says there's none. Ugh. I just want my phone like it was.

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Accepting updates typically will remove root. How are you verifying that you don't have root? Install terminal emulator and type su then press enter. If # then root, if $ then no root.

What model S4 do you have? I'll take a look and see if you can regain root with the latest update.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Another way to check root is apps on Play, even though I think they do the same thing that magnus suggested. To the OP, be careful about this in the future. I have heard of situations where accepting OTA updates bricking rooted devices.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well. I tried installing those two programs but I can't get them to work. It's telling me I have to put busybox into another system folder which I can't find to move even though I know it's installed. The other guy that told me to try that other program I think you may have typed it wrong or something. So I still don't know what to do and my phone is running like crap now. Almost bad enough for me to get rid of it I can't fix this. Isn't there a way to check if I have a backup since I had titanium and restore the phone to a state prior to the update? Someone please help. I finally happy with this thing and now just want to throw it at the wall it's so slow and full of bloatware again.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

i have the Verizon SCH-I545
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok. I installed the pro version of the terminal thing and it starts /$. i put in the su so /$su then hit enter then i get the /$ again.

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Whitsett View Post
    Well. I tried installing those two programs but I can't get them to work. It's telling me I have to put busybox into another system folder which I can't find to move even though I know it's installed. The other guy that told me to try that other program I think you may have typed it wrong or something. So I still don't know what to do and my phone is running like crap now. Almost bad enough for me to get rid of it I can't fix this. Isn't there a way to check if I have a backup since I had titanium and restore the phone to a state prior to the update? Someone please help. I finally happy with this thing and now just want to throw it at the wall it's so slow and full of bloatware again.
    Titanium let's you install busybox. See if that helps. Otherwise you need to root it again. Follow the instructions in this thread, make sure you are on the build specified in the thread:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

In the search field type root checker by developer joeykrim.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yeah. I dont have root access anymore. Titanium wont work. I checked with rootchecker too and it said I didnt too. Will I be able to regain root access after the update?

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Yeah. I dont have root access anymore. Titanium wont work. I checked with rootchecker too and it said I didnt too. Will I be able to regain root access after the update?
    If the build number matches the one in the thread I posted from xda, then yes.

Go into menu - system settings - about phone. Build number should be VRUAME7.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Says Baseband Version: I545VRUAME7 Is that what i want it to say? If so, just follow that link and try and re root? How can I create a back up before hand if I need to? Titanium isnt working. This phone is really running slow. Should i, if its even possible, uninstall the update?

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Says Baseband Version: I545VRUAME7 Is that what i want it to say? If so, just follow that link and try and re root? How can I create a back up before hand if I need to? Titanium isnt working. This phone is really running slow. Should i, if its even possible, uninstall the update?
    Sorry for the late reply, it was an early night last night. It should look like this photo:

Source thread:

If it does, then you should follow the root guide. I would suggest reading through the guide carefully to understand it and read through the last few pages to see what, if any, problems are occurring with the process.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Yes. I have the same build number

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Yes. I have the same build number
    Then that root guide is for you. :-)

Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Thanks bud. Ill give it a try.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Still a no go. What now? I also lost the play store somehow?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I heard that if you update your basically screwed until someone comes out with a new break.

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I heard that if you update your basically screwed until someone comes out with a new break.
    Yes, if you root then accept an update you can loose root access. This is what happened when you updated. The link I referred you to is specific to the update you are on. Did you have a particular problem with the instructions?

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I followed the instructions perfectly. All the correct files are in the root folder of the sd card. Its formatted as an exFAT. I tried multiple times. Even restarted the phone and tried again multiple times. I tried reformatting the card a couple times just to be sure even though it showed exFAT as its partition. I honestly dont know what else to do. The first step goes fine. Then the next two steps says access denied and file not found. The files there, I checked. It gains access to the root of the sd but then cant find the files or just completely denies access which it said it could say if the formatting isnt right. That said, I checked and rechecked the formatting. Im to the point to where Im just going to have to file an insurance claim or something. A lot of things on this phone just havent been working like they should. And now the play store is gone and thats not available for download at this time either online or through the app store. Im stumped. Any other suggestions? If I do a master reset would that reset everything back to the way it was when I bought it?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I do get a # however after the second step, but it also says access denied and file not found. Then says the same thing on step 3 with the script file thats supposed to make it permanent
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I. So my replacement comes tomorrow. When should I if ever do am update so this doesnt happen again? Is there anything else I need to know what not to do?

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I. So my replacement comes tomorrow. When should I if ever do am update so this doesnt happen again? Is there anything else I need to know what not to do?
    If you root then you can install custom ROMs that are based on official updates. Keep an eye on the Verizon S4 forums for ROMs that apply to your device and use those. Otherwise, never, unless you want to lose root and don't mind that, accept ota updates.