1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Need Help Regarding Switching From US Cellular to Straight Talk

Hey everyone! I'm a newbie, but I have some questions and desperately need your help! My hubby and I have US Cellular right now because he was an OTR truck driver and we live in Iowa and he ran the midwest, so USC or Verizon are pretty much the only viable options for us. Well, my hubby got promoted and is now only in our home area and we want to switch to Straight Talk. We both have Motorola Electrify M phones from USC and we are on their belief plan and no longer have a contract. Our phones have sim cards (which is new to me), but the Straight Talk website also says something about how many MHz the phone is????. I was wondering if it is possible and legal to switch from USC to Straight Talk. Are our phones compatible with Straight Talk? And how the heck do we go about doing it, if it's possible at all? I've read that I need to get some unlock code from USC if our phones are compatible... but I'm so confused!

I've googled and googled and have not found anything concrete. Please help us! USC is gouging us every month!!

Also, please speak slowly and use small words as I'm completely ignorant to all this cell phone stuff! LOL

Thank you in advance for any answers!!!

Default Re: Need Help Regarding Switching From US Cellular to Straight Talk

You just need to buy a sim card from Straight Talk from the bring your own phone program. You can find their customer service number on their website and call to see if it's compatible with your phone. Any unlocked phone will work with the sim card.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

No, no, no. There's no such thing as cheap and cheerful. It's cheap and nasty & expensive and cheerful. - Jeremy Clarkson
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Okay so how do I know if my phone is unlocked or go about unlocking it?

Since it's on U.S. Cellular it's locked. Carriers always have their phones locked to the network. If you don't believe me, the only way to test it out is to see if another sim card from a different carrier works on your phone. If it tells you to enter an unlock code, it's locked but if it works then it's unlocked. If your phone was T-Mobile or AT&T you wouldn't need to get the phone unlocked since Straight Talk has sims that are T-Mobile and AT&T compatible.

Here you go. This is the cheapest and reliable way to unlock your cellphone. Just follow the steps and once it's unlocked you just have to buy a sim from Straight Talk.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

No, no, no. There's no such thing as cheap and cheerful. It's cheap and nasty & expensive and cheerful. - Jeremy Clarkson
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks! I asked USC for an unlock code and they told me that I had to contact the manufacturer. Does this sound legit to anyone?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

And will my Electrify M even work on Straight Talk?

ST will not activate cdma 4g phones on their network. You can go to the ST byop page, select cdma and enter the info needed and it will tell you the answer