My S4 won't charge when plugged into my laptop

anon(7887939)

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to charge my s4 on my laptop but when I came back to check on it an hour later it had lost 3 percent is something wrong with my phone? It charges fine and quick when I use the adapter that came with it but doesn't work with the laptop. I have an HP Pavilion dv6 it's 2 years old if that makes a difference. Thank you for any help

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to charge my s4 on my laptop but when I came back to check on it an hour later it had lost 3 percent is something wrong with my phone? It charges fine and quick when I use the adapter that came with it but doesn't work with the laptop. I have an HP Pavilion dv6 it's 2 years old if that makes a difference. Thank you for any help

My guess is that since the power output on a USB port is lower than your charger, you phone uses more energy than the USB port gives. For numbers sake, let's say your phone needs a minimum of 700 mAmps to charge, if your PC only puts out 500, you are going to discharge.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to turn off the phone and let USB charge it via the laptop. It's an inconvenience; however, is an option for charging if you really need to.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2