Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy How to recover SMS, Contacts on Android phone

Help! Need to find my deleted data from Android!

I deleted SMS, Contacts from my Android phone by mistake, they are very important! Is there any way to get it back? Your help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Global Posts
    8,902 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: How to recover SMS, Contacts on Android phone

Quote Originally Posted by cocosiy View Post
    Help! Need to find my deleted data from Android!

I deleted SMS, Contacts from my Android phone by mistake, they are very important! Is there any way to get it back? Your help will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Unfortunately SMS can't be retrieved if you didn't make a backup with an app. Contacts can be retrieved simply by logging back into your Google Account associated with your device - if you had this sync'd then contacts will load automatically once you sign back in.
    Somdk likes this.

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

SMS Backup+ saves them as xml files. They're readable as-is, even if you don't restore them. You just have to ignore the xml tags. But if you restore them you get back what you backed up.

As far as contacts go, make sure that all your contacts are entered as Account contacts. (When you enter one, you have a choice of Account, Phone and, if you have a SIM card, SIM.) That way, any phone logged into that gmail account has those contacts. There's nothing "to do" - it just works that way (as long as you have sync contacts enabled for that email account.)

I ever forgot to backup my phone before resetting it to factory settings, which resulted in losing all contacts and messages. Then I downloaded the Android Phone Geeker and recovered all my contacts and messages.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I have a recommendation for you -- "MobiKin Doctor for Android",I use it to recover my Samsung phone data.including contacts,text message,photos.etc,It is work well, this is a comprehensive software.Simple, just a few will be able to quickly restore your contacts,Hope this helps!

i had? synced my android contacts with gmail as well as hotmail but due to some reasons i had to format the phone….after formatting, the contacts are lost on gmail and doesnt get synced..cannot find hotmail contacts either. and upon restoring contacts in gmail..it doesnot happen either.. Finally I Google and found a tool can recover deleted contacts from Android phone, but I didn't remeber its name.

Can you see your Gmail contacts on the desktop computer?

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

The only contacts that get synced to Google are those entered as Google contacts, not Phone, Device or SIM contacts. Go to Google Contacts and you'll see which contacts you synced. Anything not there isn't coming back to the computer. (Which is why all your contacts should be entered as Google contacts, and why Google should change the default from Device to Google - most people end up entering all their contacts as Device contacts, then lose them all on a reset.)

To answer your final question, "how can i recover my contacts again?", you can't "recover" anything you haven't already backed up somewhere. (Which is why you should back up at least all your app data and texts at least once a week. And any contacts that aren't Google contacts, although I don't know why you'd want to enter them as anything else.)

Any data not backed up to at least 2 independent destinations is data you don't need. That was true back when IBM first started making programmable computers (the 1950s) and it's always going to be true. The most valuable part of any computer is the data on it.