Galaxy S3 - it says that memory is full while it isn't

arwa13

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been having a major problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. The internal memory of the phone should be 11.25GB (even though it should be 16, but I know how these stuff actually work), Surly I have an extra external SD card, but that's not the problem. The internal memory keeps being filled with nothing.
here is a picture to demonstrate the situation:
Screenshot_2013-08-08-12-24-03.png

As you can see the total space is 11.25 GB and if you count the applications, pictures, videos and miscellaneous files, they constitute no more than 2GB, which means that there should be no less than 9 GB left as available in the phone's internal memory, but as you can see I have got 5.84 GB available. How did that happen?

I have rebooted the system yesterday when the internal memory was completely full (even though I have only 2GB filled). And I have a feeling that by tomorrow I will get the memory completely full without downloading or adding anything on the phone.

And don't tell me I should clean cache or whatever that thing is, because I have already done that, and it's not working.

Please help me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been having a major problem with my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. The internal memory of the phone should be 11.25GB (even though it should be 16, but I know how these stuff actually work), Surly I have an extra external SD card, but that's not the problem. The internal memory keeps being filled with nothing.
here is a picture to demonstrate the situation:
http://i2.wp.com/www.straketch.com/...reenshot_2013-08-08-12-24-03.png?fit=900,9999
As you can see the total space is 11.25 GB and if you count the applications, pictures, videos and miscellaneous files, they constitute no more than 2GB, which means that there should be no less than 9 GB left as available in the phone's internal memory, but as you can see I have got 5.84 GB available. How did that happen?

I have rebooted the system yesterday when the internal memory was completely full (even though I have only 2GB filled). And I have a feeling that by tomorrow I will get the memory completely full without downloading or adding anything on the phone.

And don't tell me I should clean cache or whatever that thing is, because I have already done that, and it's not working.

Please help me.

Welcome to the forums!
I would back up anything you need to your SD card, and do a factory reset. I am guessing there is a ghost file that is taking up so much space and not reporting.

arwa13

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I said that I have rebooted the system many times, which is the same as doing a factory reset, right? Nothing happens, it just brings my phone to its original position
(Empty), but then the memory starts being filled with "ghost files".
Any other solution?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Rebooting is different than factory reset. Factory reset is a complete wipe of all of your data, bringing your phone back to its original state.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

arwa13

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Then let me rephrase that. I have done Factory data reset about 5 times, I have backed up everything and I have restored my phone to its original position when I first bought it, empty. And then I have went to customer service, and they said they will install the new system (for Galaxy S4) and when they returned it they said the problem should be solved with the new system. I didn't see a new system, I just believe that they have only done Factory data reset and that was it. I'm still having the same problem.
Other than factory reset, what can I do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what they meant by installing the system for the S4 on your S3. Maybe they meant they would make sure your S3's operating system was as up-to-date as possible (presumably 4.2.2, although I can't be sure). Regardless, I don't really understand why this problem is persisting.

The only other thing I can think of would be to boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem remains. Instructions here: Samsung Galaxy S III - Enable and Disable Safe Mod... - Mobile Product Support Forums

Phil Jackson

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Arwa13,
This is a rare but irritating problem that I also had. Android generates error logs in a memory location that you can't get to unless your phone has been rooted, and the only way you can delete these logs without rooting your phone is to do a factory reset. Why a small number of phones have this issue is something of a mystery.
Do you have any apps or functions that keep crashing out?
Regards,
Phil

scynz1

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
My SGS3 was plagued with this problem for months but I have finally found the answer on another forum. Basically it's a huge log file which keeps building up. The fix is incredibly simple after all that frustrating searching :)

"You don't have to root your phones to fix this problem. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and then select from menu - delete dumpstate/logcat. I tested this solution on my SGS2 and it works. "
Credit to damianoz here

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
dialling that number sounds like a scam. my phone has the same prob, I have deleted loads of files, its doing my head in, I cant open my pictures or music now.

Welcome to Android Central! I don't think the number is a scam--it's a hidden Android command code. I don't know the technicalities of deleting the logcat as suggested by scynz1, but if you check out the reference link, there are a number of people who replied that they had success with it.

Ameya Rao

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
the method of using keyboard & dialing *#9900# really works.. i m using note (N 7000) since 2 years. my phone shows internal memory 1.97 GB, USB Storage as 11.07 GB.. I felt **** when i saw this in actual as manual said phone comes with 16 GB of memory. I was facing this problem saying not enough space left in phone memory while the memory was not full in actual. i tried the above said keys & dialed.. i thought that i might lost my contacts or messages or images & all.. but everything is still there.. only dump data is been deleted & my phone is set free with above 0.75 GB of space.. happy with it..

Dario Mirovic

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My SGS3 was plagued with this problem for months but I have finally found the answer on another forum. Basically it's a huge log file which keeps building up. The fix is incredibly simple after all that frustrating searching :)

"You don't have to root your phones to fix this problem. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and then select from menu - delete dumpstate/logcat. I tested this solution on my SGS2 and it works. "
Credit to damianoz here

I just wanted to say that it worked for me too, for the absolutely same problem on SGS2. Not even reboot was needed afterwards. :)