Accounts & Sync missing

vovalos

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello all. I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro running Android 2.3.4. It's rooted and was working fine for months. I little while back (not sure exactly when), it stopped synchronizing the contacts & calendar.
Upon investigation I've observed the following:
  • There is no "Accounts & Sync" menu option in the main phone settings menu anymore
  • The "AccountAndSyncSettings.apk" is missing from /system/app/ folder
  • If I go to Phonebook/settings/Accounts & Sync I get a message "The application Contacts (process com.sonyericsson.android.socialphonebook) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"
What I have tried:
1. Download the "AccountAndSyncSettings.apk" and try to install it using Apk installer. Fails saying "apk not installed" with no explanation.
2. Manually copy the AccountAndSyncSettings.apk to the system/app folder using Root Manager. I get a message that it's a read only folder.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it shows as a read-only folder it sounds like you lost root at some point. You could always try to re-flash your current ROM (if you're using a custom one) or, in the worst case, do a factory reset.

vovalos

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks SpookDroid
I'm pretty sure that I didn't loose root, as my Uninstaller can still delete the preloaded apps (and give me a message "superuser permissions granted").
I'm not using a custom ROM (not sure if I should, but that's a separate question). Regarding the factory reset - I'm guessing I will need to root it again after (that should not be a problem), however I've also unlocked it from my carrier, will it re-lock? How would I do the reset if I decided to go that way? My software keeps asking me if I want to upgrade to android 4.smth , I don't want to do that, Android 2.3 is working out great for me so far, if I do a reset will it automatically upgrade?

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you do a factory reset it won't upgrade until you specifically tell it to. As for the unlock, it all depends on the method used. USUALLY you don't lose it, but I might be wrong. For that I'll let someone else chime in.

vovalos

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Just to put an end to this thread. No factory reset didn't help (apparently it doesn't really re-install the system). In fact, after factory reset my home button stopped working.
Ended up doing a full flash. Pulled up a new system image files from here: SE Xperia Pro - XDA-Developers
And the flashing instructions were here: [25NOV][FLASHTOOL GUIDE] HOW TO for n00bies - G-FACE GUIDE - xda-developers

Notes to add:
No the unlock didn't get lost, but the rooting did. So had to reroot after. Used SuperOneClick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21