phone contacts

bjfowle

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had an Atrix 2 for a couple of years now so it's about time to upgrade. All of my contacts are saved to the phone instead of google. Is there an easy way to transfer all my contacts to google?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had an Atrix 2 for a couple of years now so it's about time to upgrade. All of my contacts are saved to the phone instead of google. Is there an easy way to transfer all my contacts to google?

Welcome to the forums!
I think they would have to be done one by one. But I could very well be wrong. Clicking on the contact, then where it is stored should bring up the change in where you want it.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Three options I can offer:

1. Export them to a vCard file, and then import them in your Google account.

2. Just use a google account to sync them.

3. Use a service like Memotoo.com.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Three options I can offer:

1. Export them to a vCard file, and then import them in your Google account.

2. Just use a google account to sync them.

3. Use a service like Memotoo.com.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app
Sync the contacts with Google - that's the easiest and quickest solution in my opinion.

Menu > System Settings > Accounts > Google > Sync Contacts

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I meant override as in force Google backup to save them?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Op has contacts saved on the phone and wants those saved to Google. If he sync's it should just backup what's on the phone to Google.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Op has contacts saved on the phone and wants those saved to Google. If he sync's it should just backup what's on the phone to Google.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

That is what I was wondering; if syncing would override the user setting of contacts going to phone storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks--if the OP has a bunch of Phone Contacts, I believe they can't easily be synced to Google, because they're part of a non-Google account (i.e., Phone). As MichaelBR mentioned above, the best bet may be to export them as a vcf file, then import that file into Gmail on your desktop/laptop. On my Razr Maxx, the steps would be:

1. Menu/Contacts to display, select "Phone."
2. Menu/Import & export/Export to storage.
3. A message pops up asking you if you want to save your contacts as /storage/sdcard1/00001.vcf
4. Once you've saved the file, then connect your phone to a computer or remove your SD card and insert it into your computer, and copy the .vcf file to your computer.
5. On your computer, open Gmail, go to Contacts, click the "More" button, then select Import and import your .vcf file.
6. Once all of the contacts are in Gmail, all you need to do is sync your phone with your Google account, and all of those phone contacts should now be Google contacts.

bjfowle

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks--if the OP has a bunch of Phone Contacts, I believe they can't easily be synced to Google, because they're part of a non-Google account (i.e., Phone). As MichaelBR mentioned above, the best bet may be to export them as a vcf file, then import that file into Gmail on your desktop/laptop. On my Razr Maxx, the steps would be:

1. Menu/Contacts to display, select "Phone."
2. Menu/Import & export/Export to storage.
3. A message pops up asking you if you want to save your contacts as /storage/sdcard1/00001.vcf
4. Once you've saved the file, then connect your phone to a computer or remove your SD card and insert it into your computer, and copy the .vcf file to your computer.
5. On your computer, open Gmail, go to Contacts, click the "More" button, then select Import and import your .vcf file.
6. Once all of the contacts are in Gmail, all you need to do is sync your phone with your Google account, and all of those phone contacts should now be Google contacts.

Thanks this was helpful. I just e-mailed the vcf file to my gmail account and then imported the contacts.