Pictures stuck in phone's gallery - Help!

AngelStar52

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Just joined and already have a problem that I need help with. OK... please bear with me, I will try my best to be clear and quick here. I live in a hi rise and reception stinks. I have and will be getting rid of my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II (Gingerbread OS). My plan is T-Mobile via Walmart's My Family Mobile, no contract month to month unlimited talk, text and data. Fine and well, but totally useless when countless times each day have dropped calls, zero reception (no bars), phone hanging up in middle of calls, broken words (both ends of conversations), not receiving calls, no record of getting calls, yet the callers showed proof on their call logs, etc. etc. Bottom line, when researching phones the last two weeks, I came across the problems of internal antenna with this model phone and the poor call service in my area from TMobile. So...double the problem. Only good thing is that this phone is a whole lot better as a camera than my Canon Power Shot. I have over 1,000 stored pictures on it that I use for my items I sell online. Here is the problem. Stupid me, I never saved my pics to my SD card in the phone. Only way I posted pics in my listings online was to email them to me. There are about 800 I haven't used yet to list any items. I lost the USB cable and only have the plug in charger for it so I can't even connect to my PC. I need to get these out before I call to cancel my service and I am afraid once done, I will not have ANY chance of retrieving my pictures. so time is important because I don't want to be stuck with another month's bill.

I purchased a ICS LG Optimus Exceed VS840PP (Verizon PrePaid) no contract unlimited talk, text and 2GB Data a month. The phone is awesome! It is so fast, nothing freezes, I can hear my calls, great reception, etc. It was like homecoming. Reason? My son pulled me away from Verizon a few years ago and put me with T-Mobile and due to illness, he could not be in a position to pay my bills, so I had to go with the Walmart T-Mobile plan. Now, I rely heavily on photos due to the fact that I am trying to build my own business here at home making and selling my own jewelry line and I have a huge inventory in storage of vintage and antique items I inherited - so building the business rests heavily on the importance of my not losing all the pictures on my Samsung phone. Sorry this is so long, and I guess I did not make it short and sweet, but I can not stress HOW important it is for me to get out the pics and I have not been able to find anything on Google or the manual either. I could purchase a USB cable, but I am homebound and disabled and need to order online and that takes time and the bill adds up. If I will not lose the pics after the phone is turned off, then I can simply order the USB that goes with the phone. Phone calls to reps have been useless. I was told by reps that they don't know if I will lose my pics or not, best keep the phone service going till I get the USB cable. Then I asked if they can send me one, and told me they don't have the one for my phone and check some suppliers online. Oh Geez.... besides the USB cable to transfer the pics to my PC, I just want to know if anyone here knows another way. If not, then I know I need to get the cable and also can I safely turn off service and not lose the pics? Thanks for reading this agonizing long explanation. It is what it is. Thanks so much!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Try using AirDroid, which should allow you to copy your pictures wirelessly to your computer. It needs to be installed on your old phone.

Also, I assume your new phone came with a USB cable, correct? Many USB cables are interchangeable, especially when it comes to data transfer. So you could try hooking that USB cable up to your old phone, connect it to your computer, and move your files that way.

If you're looking for the folder name for the pictures, it is should be something like "/mnt/dcim/camera" or "/storage/sdcard0/dcim/camera." Good luck!

AngelStar52

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to give it a try. I had a feeling there was another way. I mean come one, with the technology out there? I will post an update after I try your suggestion. Again, thanks for your quick reply!

AngelStar52

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Try using AirDroid, which should allow you to copy your pictures wirelessly to your computer. It needs to be installed on your old phone.

Also, I assume your new phone came with a USB cable, correct? Many USB cables are interchangeable, especially when it comes to data transfer. So you could try hooking that USB cable up to your old phone, connect it to your computer, and move your files that way.

If you're looking for the folder name for the pictures, it is should be something like "/mnt/dcim/camera" or "/storage/sdcard0/dcim/camera." Good luck!

OK, I need help now. I am in AirDroid. Tools screen. I clicked on files then on DCIM. Checked the box and up top it says /sdcard. on bottom is the following: delete...copy...(which just gave me a copy(2) of the file, cut... share...(tells me "can not share folder") and all with a check in it. (that just checks all the files. I don't know how to get the photo file transferred into the sd card at this point. I tried different screens and hitting a brick wall here. What am I doing wrong? Thanks! I hope you are still here B.Ditty.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I suggest AirDroid a lot, but I confess I've never tried it myself (since I don't have much need for wireless transfer of files). But here's a YouTube tutorial that seems pretty good--see if it answers your question. The section you want to watch is around 3:35. I think all you need to do is, using the interface on your computer, select the folder with your pictures and click Download, which should transfer all of your pics wirelessly to your computer. From there, you could then plug your new phone in using your USB cable (or just use AirDroid for that one) and move those pics to the new phone.

How to use AirDroid on Android - YouTube

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The key thing may be that you need to use the interface on your desktop/laptop, not on your device.

AngelStar52

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I figured it out! IT WORKS!!! All 1,127 pictures are on my PC. I am so jazzed..... Thank you so very much B.Ditty, you helped me save over 7 months worth of work needed for my new business. What a great sense of support here and especially for "time urgent plea for a solution": I will tell everyone I know about this forum. YOU ROCK and so does this really awesome site. So much here!

- - - Updated - - -

The key thing may be that you need to use the interface on your desktop/laptop, not on your device.
That is how I figured it out and worked for me! Wow, thanks again!