Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation [Samsung Galaxy Centura] I need help I am new to this phone.

HI all I am new on the forum I am also new to this kind of phone. I am clueless!! So to say all that, I did not see my Samsung phone listed on the list of phones. I have a, ( Samsung Galaxy Centura Droid.) It is a straight talk phone. With all that said here is the problems I need help with. I do not know how to add contacts, I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I am not sure why it does not answer. Another thing is I want to transfer my contacts by sd card but do not know how to do it.Can someone give me steps in doing this? Because I do not have a blue tooth. Also I cannot seem to answer the phone when it rings even when I hit the answer phone.

So umm can you all help me out so I can get rolling. lol

Thanks a bunch.

Default Re: [Samsung Galaxy Centura] I need help I am new to this phone.

Welcome to Android Central! Let me start by suggesting this thread: Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks It's pretty big, but the main stuff to read is at the beginning.

The easiest and safest way to add contacts to your phone is to enter them into your Gmail account on the web. Since your Android phone should be linked to your Google account, these contacts should automatically sync over to your phone's Contact app. Any changes you make on the phone will be synced back over to Google, and any changes you make in Gmail will be synced back over to your phone. If your phone dies, your contacts will still be available in the Google cloud.

If you want to enter a contact directly into your phone, open your Contacts (sometimes called People) app, and look for a "+" icon on the screen (meaning "Add Contact"), or press the phone's menu button to look for an "Add Contact" option. When the screen comes up to enter a contact, be aware of which account you're entering it into. At the top of the screen, you should see either your Google account or "Phone"--you can tap it to select. If you enter it into your Google account, it will sync with your Gmail contacts. If you pick "Phone," it gets saved locally on your phone, but will not sync to Gmail. The only way to sync or backup the "Phone Contacts" is usually with some proprietary software like HTC Sync or Verizon's Backup Assistant. In my opinion, it's not worth the trouble.

In terms of answering your phone, you need to press on and drag the answer phone icon (the green one, not the red one) in any direction. Here's a link to your phone's manual:

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/wcm/...df?MOD=AJPERES

Hello. Sorry about your problems. I have no idea how to help. Hope someone else does. Best of luck to you!

Posted via My Nexus 7 1's Android Central App

HI Can you help I want to add contacts to phone only - NOT to gmail. I do not have any option to add to "phone" or change account - and I am not logged into gmail. but it still says gmail.com on the contact screen. Please help, thanks!

Welcome to Android Central! Are you also using a Galaxy Centura, or a different phone? Are you rooted or unrooted? Which Android version?

Go to your People app, and press the appropriate button to add a contact. Depending on your phone, it might be a "+" sign at the bottom or top of the screen, or an "Add" button, or something similar. When the contact entry screen comes up, it should indicate somewhere on the top which account you're entering into. Tap that field, and see if it gives you any other option.

I am using a Galaxy Centura. I dont know what rooted vs unrooted is, and I do not know how to check which andriod version I am using (I am very new!)

Go to your People app, and press the appropriate button to add a contact. Depending on your phone, it might be a "+" sign at the bottom or top of the screen, or an "Add" button, or something similar. When the contact entry screen comes up, it should indicate somewhere on the top which account you're entering into. Tap that field, and see if it gives you any other option.
    When I tap that field, nothing happens. I have tried to follow the manual but where it says I should be able to do a local contact - this popup / prompt never shows up (see text from user manual below)

Am I unable to store a local contact now that I have set up a gmail account? How do I un-do the account? I can wipe the phone (I am still using my old one until I figure out how to get this one working.) Thanks in advance for your assistance!

From the user manual:
    Note:
    If you have not already set up an online account (ex: Gmail or Email), a popup screen allows you to create a local Contact or sign into an account. If you select Create a new contact , you are prompted to either keep the Contact stored locally on the phone (Keep local) or add an online account.

UPDATE: After writing this response, I deleted the account and then tried to add a contact - and I can add a local one now! So I am going to try to add the account and see if the local option is still available after having one local contact and THEN setting up the account.

Glad that it seems to be working--hopefully, you won't encounter any further problems after adding back your Google account. You shouldn't have had to do that (seems like a glitch), but if it works, then great!

Ok now I seem to not be able to add an account - it just says

Accounts and Sync > add account > Google, select Existing account, enter email and pwdm click sign in, and it says Signing in... This can take a few minutes. Last night I let it run for 37 minutesm but it never did sign in. I am not sure what is wrong, there are no errors but it just never connects. I also keep getting the option to connect to a wifi network - I don't remember getting this before but used the phone network (i guess) to do internet etc. I much appreciate any ideas you have! Thanks!
    nat

Did you actually remove your Google account first? Under Settings/Accounts, is Google listed at all? If you see Google there, it wasn't removed.

I was hoping to be able to get a users manual, so I could use this phone and all the features it has to offer.
    Thank you,
    Adele

Welcome to Android Central! Here's a link for your manual: http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/wcm/...df?MOD=AJPERES

Default Re: [Samsung Galaxy Centura] I can't add a google account?

I changed my google password but I couldn't get my password to change on the phone, so I completely removed my google account from the phone, which removed all my calender and contacts and now I can't add it back. It says my username and password don't match but it's the correct username and password. It works fine on the laptop. What can I do besides a factory reset? I tried the wipe cache partition but that didn't help.

Default Re: [Samsung Galaxy Centura] I can't add a google account?

Welcome to Android Central! See what happens if you power the phone down, pull the battery for about 10 seconds, put it back in, and power back on. Now try to add the account again.