Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google+ (plus) Extremely High Battery Usage

Saturday I started noticing that my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4's battery seemed to be discharging quickly. This was confirmed yesterday (Sunday.) My phone was fully charged at Noon. By 5 PM it was at 15%. Further, the phone kept discharging even though I put it on my car charger. I checked what apps where using the power and Google+ (Plus) was using about 85% of my power!

I haven't found anyone else reporting this. I noticed there was an update to Google+ on Firday, 8/16/13. Last night I removed the update(s) and power usage seems to have returned to normal.

I am probably going to reinstall the update in a bit and see what happens.

Default Re: Google+ (plus) Extremely High Battery Usage

Same thing is happening to me too. I did have picture backups through Google+ on after the update, but thought that might be eating the battery, so turned that option off but it's still eating my battery up fast. I don't even really use Google+ at all and is one of the highest listed processes on the battery consumption meter

Is your Location Sharing on? Try turning it off under Google Settings/Google+/Location Sharing.

You could also try turning off Location Reporting under Google Settings/Location/Location Reporting.

Did you reinstall the update?

I wonder if it's something to do with the instant upload feature. Make sure you have the set (if you do) to only backup your photos over wifi (and not cellular) and make sure you have a decent connection. it might be trying to do it and if the connection is poor, it might cause high battery usage. Or maybe it's just a glitch...might be worth just rebooting or clearing the cache.

Global Posts
    1,196 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I was having rapid battery drain on my Note II, mine turned out to be the latest map update. It was killing my 6500 mAh battery in 15 hours with 5 hours of screen time. Now it's back to normal. That was nerve wracking.

Sent via Note II
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

I uninstalled the update and then reinstalled it and it seems to be fine now, no battery drain issues anymore

Glad you got it figured out....strange problem.

Hi. I had this problem too.. Google+ causing massive battery drain. And the problem does seem to have been fixed by uninstalling updates. Thanks.

My girlfriends phone has been downloading the update for 2 days both on wifi and off wifi . It has been draining her battery and now she keeps getting unknown error codes on a bunch of downloads

Welcome to Android Central! It sounds more like a problem with the Google Play Store (either the app on her phone or the Google Play Store server). Has she tried rebooting the phone? Depending on the device, she might also be able to do a system cache partition wipe, which clears out some of the temporary system data that might be causing glitches like this. What kind of phone does she have?
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,917 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sapp View Post
    My girlfriends phone has been downloading the update for 2 days both on wifi and off wifi . It has been draining her battery and now she keeps getting unknown error codes on a bunch of downloads
    Welcome to the forums! B.Diddy's advice is always great.
    Thanked by:

Same here. I have a RAZR HD which used t give me 36-48 hours on a single charge. Now I get maybe 12-15 and Google+ is always at the top of the list far above everything else when it comes to battery consumption.

Ι have had the same problem on my Note 2. After the 4.3 update attery started draining like a sieve. I tried everything and could not find out why. Wakelock showed Google+ to be the culprit. I disabled it and everything was fine. I enabled it and had the drain again. Since I want to use it, now I have uninstalled the update and see what happens. One peculiar thing though. only Wakelock Detector showed the abnormal habits of Google +. The battery settings never showed it to be problematic, or that it was consuming battery.

My Galaxy Note 8.0 is having the same problem, my battery app shows Google+ draining my battery BIG time, I have tried uninstalling the update but Google+ just installs it again automatically. I have done a Cache wipe and a reboot, nothing works. Is there anything I can do to correct this without messing up my tablet?...Please Help

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I'm seeing the same thing on Galaxy S5.

Same problem with my boss's new galaxy S5. Disabled G+, will see what happens.

Hi there, I am new on this forum as an active member. Read some useful threads.

Regarding the battery consumpion...same here with my S5 as well. At first there were no problems, and therefor prety satisfied about the battery consumption.
    I installed Battery Doctor and noticed that Google+ is one of my major battery consumers. On Google+ Location, sharing is off. Google+ only sychronizes when WIFI is available and when power adpater is connected.

Got this tip from another forum and it worked for my nexus 4. Settings. Apps. Click Google+ App. Click clear Data, clear cache, clear defaults. (Clearing data will automatically clear cache and defaults for some of you.) Then disable recent updates. This resets your Google+ to a previous version. (Do not open Google+ just yet!) Restart phone. Go to PlayStore, update your Google+. There you go! What this did was: It removed the automatically updated Google+ that was integrated into your Android OS FROM your Android OS. Updating it manually, Google+ was maintained as a SEPARATE App. Now monitor your battery usage, you will notice Google+ is no longer draining your battery. Well, it worked for me and a lot of other Android users. I hope it works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch De Padua View Post
    Got this tip from another forum and it worked for my nexus 4. Settings. Apps. Click Google+ App. Click clear Data, clear cache, clear defaults. (Clearing data will automatically clear cache and defaults for some of you.) Then disable recent updates. This resets your Google+ to a previous version. (Do not open Google+ just yet!) Restart phone. Go to PlayStore, update your Google+. There you go! What this did was: It removed the automatically updated Google+ that was integrated into your Android OS FROM your Android OS. Updating it manually, Google+ was maintained as a SEPARATE App. Now monitor your battery usage, you will notice Google+ is no longer draining your battery. Well, it worked for me and a lot of other Android users. I hope it works for you!
    Didn't work for me...

Google+ (plus) Extremely High Battery Usage-media-20140717.jpg

My problem was that Google plus hogged my network. I was getting ping latency of 1400ms. In any case, I downloaded the non-root firewall app and blocked Google plus. This should work for you, if other solutions don't work.

Good luck.

I have the same problem