Why isn't my Google speech to text not working correctly?

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google speech to text not working correctly

Oh well, so much for that idea. No, it didn't help. This is really annoying. I have to use either the Swype keyboard or the SwiftKey keyboard (trial) I just downloaded.
are those alternate keyboard apps working ok? I had tried Swiftkey but went back to the stock keyboard. This problem only came up when I downloaded a new update to my Google Maps...coincidence?

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Oh well, so much for that idea. No, it didn't help. This is really annoying. I have to use either the Swype keyboard or the SwiftKey keyboard (trial) I just downloaded.

I know that mine comes with a standard "swype" style keyboard which I use all of the time, but alas, not as good as voice to text, which I use about 80-90% of the time. I started another thread over at xda in Android OS/general discussion. Trying to get it moved to Q&A. It has 23 views but no responses .. :(

[Q] Google speech to text not working correctly - xda-developers

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

are those alternate keyboard apps working ok? I had tried Swiftkey but went back to the stock keyboard. This problem only came up when I downloaded a new update to my Google Maps...coincidence?

I rolled back to older maps and that didn't help .. . but maybe the damage was done and it changed the speech to text function permanently (or at least without a patch) . . . really upset that none of the moderators at the Google forums has tried to respond, at least to acknowledge the problem . . .

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

The problem is real, I checked out the google forums but nothing yet. I know it happened after the Google Maps update because other things in my phone changed. I rely on the voice to text too much to just deal with it! I need to get this fixed.

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

The problem is real, I checked out the google forums but nothing yet. I know it happened after the Google Maps update because other things in my phone changed. I rely on the voice to text too much to just deal with it! I need to get this fixed.

Well, I know mine worked after that update, but maybe they did something behind the scenes after and updated he update . . .grrr

seekandfind

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

I attempted to explain a temporary fix to this problem above.
I tested this out with about 8 different keyboards.

1. Download any of the following keyboards.
-Gingerbread Keyboard not my first choice it misses words.
-TouchPal Keyboard works pretty good
-Swiftkey - eh gives choices, all so similar ot what you might want to say instead of putting it in the text field right after you speak it.
-Swype - also works by not showing text until you stop speaking, a bit buggy, microphone not always turing on the voice to text
-Slide it - nah It cuts off too soon and types what you've said when you are still talking.

2. Go to Settings, Language and Input, Untick the google voice box.

3. When you go to use one of the above keyboards it will use a "default" voice system and act like I explained above.

It is a work around, not the best. Especially if you are texting or emailing a long message you cannot see what you have spoken unless you stop talking along the way several times.

I use Swype and Touch Pal in that order.

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Well, I know mine worked after that update, but maybe they did something behind the scenes after and updated he update . . .grrr

This is the only update I put on my phone. Some other apps started to act "squirelly" after this update.:mad:

Paul Howe1

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

I have tried everything too. Installed alternate keyboards, voice to text and uninstalled. No change? Does anyone think Google/Android will fix this? It's not like its free! We paid for the O/S with the phone...they "update it" and screw it up. just great ...

seekandfind

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Only certain keyboards have the capability to use a "default" voice to text system. A lot of keyboard apps rely upon The "Google Voice" built in app, to use voice to text as their way of recording/typing out speech. Some other apps listed in my previous post have a "default" voice to text built in where they do not use Google Voice, and you do not get the red circled microphone.

If you follow my instructions above, I listed specific keyboards that work, with the settings changed, under languages and input, to untick the google voice rectangular box.

Those keyboards work as a temporary fix. I have been using them for about a week now. You just can't see what you have said until you stop speaking.

Martini01

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Only certain keyboards have the capability to use a "default" voice to text system. A lot of keyboard apps rely upon The "Google Voice" built in app, to use voice to text as their way of recording/typing out speech. Some other apps listed in my previous post have a "default" voice to text built in where they do not use Google Voice, and you do not get the red circled microphone.

If you follow my instructions above, I listed specific keyboards that work, with the settings changed, under languages and input, to untick the google voice rectangular box.

Those keyboards work as a temporary fix. I have been using them for about a week now. You just can't see what you have said until you stop speaking.
I tried this using Swiftkey. Yes, I can't see what I've said until I've stopped speaking, but it is still using Google's service. If I don't speak very quickly it stops and sometimes it stops early even if I am speaking quickly. Offensive words are still blocked even though I have that feature unchecked.

seekandfind

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Go to settings on your main home page, then languages and input, and then untick the box that says google voice, then use swiftkey if that is the keyboard app you like. It will work that way. If you still see a red circle around a microphone you are using Google Voice and not the default voice system.
Many keyboards do not have a default voice system, but I know swiftkey does.
My offensive words are blocked and have always been blocked. That is not an issue for me.

Martini01

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Go to settings on your main home page, then languages and input, and then untick the box that says google voice, then use swiftkey if that is the keyboard app you like. It will work that way. If you still see a red circle around a microphone you are using Google Voice and not the default voice system.
I tried that. It's still using Google's microphone; you just can't see what's been said until after you're done speaking but the problems I listed in my last post make it not worth using.

Many keyboards do not have a default voice system, but I know swiftkey does.
I think you're mistaken. Everything I've found regarding Swiftkey getting the ability to use voice to text is regarding using Google's service.

My offensive words are blocked and have always been blocked. That is not an issue for me.
It's one of the issues many of the rest of us are not happy with.

seekandfind

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

All I can say on this subject is it is possible to use swiftkey with my instructions. Swiftkey is not my first choice to use in this situation while we wait for a change.
After speaking, you will get a page list of "possible" text options to choose from and then you chose the one you want.

For instance you may say I will go to the store at 8 and buy bread.
There will be 3 or 4 choices like
- I will go to the store at eight and buy bread. or
-I will go to the store at 8 and will by bread, etc.
There are about 3 or 4 choices if you are using their default voice system and then you click on the one you want inserted in the text.

Happytrueevil

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Again this is very annoying, oddly enough afte rreading these post I did get a map update b4 all this started, this is really annoying and at least in my group of friends im the only one effected but I use my phone for emails ALL DAY for work and talking to my phone way a great way to not have to pull over, I really hope this is addressed... misery love company :)

mybe if we gripe enough they will notice :(

BobWise

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Having exactly the same problem as everyone else in all respects. Started 8/23. It has worked almost 100% for over a year.

rbt2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Same problem on the Atrix2. I hope it gets fixed - I really liked that feature!

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

I've been having the exact same problem with talk to text for the past three days.

I have an HTC Raider phone with service from Bell Mobility here in Canada.

I can't seem to get a full sentence of talk into text before the app freezes and then replaces the existing sentence fragment with much of the next sentence that I dictate.

It keeps repeating this so that I only ever have a few fragmentary words. Very frustrating.

I wrote to HTC a few minutes ago (0530 UTC August 28, 2013). They have acknowledged receipt.

If and when they give me a fix, I'll post the solution back here.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez