Why isn't my Google speech to text not working correctly?

Martini01

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Google speech to text not working correctly

I have a Samsung Galaxy Centura and I'm using Go SMS Pro and SwiftKey.

Starting today, when I try to text using the voice to text feature, every time I start a new sentence, the previous sentence disappears. This has never happened to me before. I tried repeatedly, to the point I was cursing, and now it is also blocking out offensive words also. I went to Language and Input > Google Voice Typing and made sure Block offensive words is not checked.

I tried the stock messaging app and I'm still having both problems. Help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

SR71BlkBird

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google speech to text not working correctly

I wish I could say that I have the answer to your issue but can only say that I have duplicated the event that has happened to you. HTC Vivid. One common thread between our issues that seem interesting is that we both installed Go SMS Pro. I liked it for a while until my voice to text started acting up. Now it erases the previous text content with in that single text container.

bobpez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I am having a similar issue with my Galaxy S3 starting today. I don't have those apps. The text-to-speech has the same problem when I use any "typing input" app. Seems like they pushed some update down which is problematic. I am not happy about this.

bobpez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Erases the line which is a problem you are having. Lots of stars for curse words but I didn't try that before.

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Have a rooted HTC Rezound and same issue. Thought it was Assistant but not it. Just started yesterday randomly

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

i've done some more research and it seems that this is affecting more and more people. Just started yesterday for most and no one knows why. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be curious to hear them. I did a fresh flash and still had the problem (BUT I did do an app restore and didn't test before). Will probably re-flash tonight for other reasons and test before restore . .

thirdmary

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

This is happening to me as well. I've never posted on this or any other forum before. I used to love this feature on my Galaxy S3 now it's such a nuisance. I hope this gets resolved!

seekandfind

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

So frustrating. I have had this same problem for about a week. Every single text I send by -speech to text, it erases. I do not type the messages. Basically I am incapable.
About a week ago it started deleting previous sentences or phrases and only leaving the most recent phrase you spoke minus the last word. Also there are long delays where text does not appear at all after spoken or delayed by over 30 seconds, screen times out, or error no connection appears. I called Virgin Mobile, friends. I changed every setting I had for texting programs. I downloaded and tested about 8 different keyboards and tested them all. If I use Google speech to text with the red circle around the microphone it erases it all, chops it up!! Argh! But I use other keyboards which use the "default" speech to text option they do get it mostly right but you cannot see the text coming out until you are done speaking.
I forgot to mention that the speech to text does not work in dictating emails also. It also erases your sentences.
I have a samsung galaxy reverb using it on Virgin Mobile.
Can someone tell me how and why this started happening and how to fix it, who to call, what change to look for?

Last edited:

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Same boat and we're not alone. tried posting on a google android developers forum but was told not right place and to contact manufacturer. Well, this is not phone specific (across board HTC, Samsung and Motorola) so it is a Google problem. I've been trying to find the most recent update and have found nothing except the new maps program. I have on idea whether that could cause the issue, but I am going to roll back to the old one and see if that helps.

So frustrating. I have had this same problem for about a week. Every single text I send by -speech to text erases. I do not type the messages. Basically I am incapable.
About a week ago it started deleting previous sentences or phrases and only leaving the most recent phrase you spoke minus the last word. I called Virgin Mobile, friends. I changed every setting I had for texting programs. I downloaded and tested about 8 different keyboards and tested them all. If I use Google speech to text with the red circle around the microphone it erases it all, chops it up!! Argh! But I use other keyboards which use the "default" speech to text option they do get it mostly right but you cannot see the text coming out until you are done speaking.
I have a samsung galaxy reverb using it on Virgin Mobile.
Can someone tell me how and why this started happening and how to fix it, who to call, what change to look for?

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Same boat and we're not alone. tried posting on a google android developers forum but was told not right place and to contact manufacturer. Well, this is not phone specific (across board HTC, Samsung and Motorola) so it is a Google problem. I've been trying to find the most recent update and have found nothing except the new maps program. I have on idea whether that could cause the issue, but I am going to roll back to the old one and see if that helps.

started a thread here. Hopefully we'll get some answers:

Google Groups

Happytrueevil

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

This just started for me as well nvr had any problems, and I cant seem to find your thread in that link

seekandfind

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

I would like this fixed and I am not familiar where to post on other sites to get attention to this issue..
I found the link mentioned above and copied my post from here to that forum just to give us some numbers and visibility.

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

I too am having this problem. It started a week ago after I updated Google Maps which probably has nothing to do with it. That update removed my Caltrans traffic app and the shortcut for Google Maps. However, right after that, I noticed my voice to text not working properly. It is sluggish when speaking, starts to pause after my last word and then deletes everything when I try to finish the text manually. What is going on???????
By the way, my phone is an HTC Evo Design 4G

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I just noticed that Google Talk changed to Hangouts recently. Does anyone else have that installed? Wondering if that might be the cause. This isn't getting that much attention from what I can tell, which is a shame because I do at least 3/4 of my texts and email using this feature. Really a pain . . .

kittymom24

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I too am having this problem - I thought it was just my phone acting up. I just uninstalled Hangouts, will see if that helps anything.

kittymom24

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Oh well, so much for that idea. No, it didn't help. This is really annoying. I have to use either the Swype keyboard or the SwiftKey keyboard (trial) I just downloaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs