Google Now Weather

SuperCK

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
When I click on Google Now and say what is the weather it would tell me the temperature at my location. I dont have any GPS location on but it would tell me the exact location. This past weekend, when i say weather, it gives me the temp in west orange NJ. I am now where near that location. Is there a setting I need to change/tweak?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The phone can use the nearest cell towers (on mobile data) or the MAC address of your wifi hotspot to determine your location. Not sure why it's giving you the wrong location--are you accessing the web via VPN?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When I click on Google Now and say what is the weather it would tell me the temperature at my location. I dont have any GPS location on but it would tell me the exact location. This past weekend, when i say weather, it gives me the temp in west orange NJ. I am now where near that location. Is there a setting I need to change/tweak?

Strange...I just tried it myself, thinking it was an error on Google's part. Got my proper location and weather. I don't know either.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you have WiFi on? With WiFi and GPS off Google doesn't do a good job of finding your location.

It sounds like it's getting some bogus location information from whatever method it's using to get your location. Under Settings>More>Location services there are check boxes for what services apps are allowed to use to get your location. If there are any there that are unchecked that you don't mind your phone using then check them.

Personally I just leave GPS on all the time. Unless I'm actively using it for navigation I've never seen it use anything more than a negligible amount of battery for the day. It mostly uses network based location services to determine where you are with it only checking GPS a few times a day. The newest version of Google Play Services seems to do a much better job of not hogging battery, too.