Exporting Contacts from PC to Tablet

rtbcomp

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have my contacts in Outlook and Thunderbird and needed to get them onto my Acer tablet. After a LOT of messing about I downloaded E-Z Contacts from here

E-Z Contact Book - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

and Contacts <-> Excel from here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samapp.excelcontacts.excelcontactslite&hl=en_GB

Both free, if you already have Contacts <-> Excel get the latest version or you'll lose the addresses.

You can import into EZ directly from Outlook. With Thunderbird you have to export in CSV format and then import the CSV file into EZ. You have to manually match the fieldnames between EZ and the CSV file to make sure everything goes into the right place.

Once in EZ you export the data in Google CSV format and copy the file to the SD card of your device.

Next step is to use Contacts <-> Excel, just select "Import", > SD Card > Select the file from the list > Select the account you're importing into and then GO.

EZ can be used to sort your contacts into groups, edit contacts, get the map for your contact, email them, open their website and set up a Skype phone call.

I now use EZ all the time rather than Thunderbird & Outlook &c it means I can change my default email client without having to update contacts. I also store bookmarks in it so I can easily swap to another browser.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! An alternative method would be to export your contacts on Outlook or Thunderbird to a .CSV file, then import that file into your Google Contacts on the web. Once they've been imported into Google, they should automatically sync to all of your Android devices that are connected to that Google account. You now have the added advantage of having your contacts reliably stored in the Google cloud.

rtbcomp

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I've just noticed that method I've described doesn't import the work address fields, although they've fixed the problem of importing personal addresses, I'll raise that with the authors.

I'm a bit uneasy about putting my contacts on the cloud, but I can see the advantage.

E-Z will export in vCard (vcf) format, but it doesn't export the groups & website fields (yet). If it did that would be a better method because the stock Android address book will import vCards without using a third party App.

Funny how nothing does everything!

Does the Google web address book have to have the CSV file in Google format?

companionlink

Feb 9, 2010
www.companionlink.com
Just use a 14-day trial of CompanionLink for Outlook to move contacts from Outlook to your Acer. CompanionLink handles the work address field great.

I'm a bit uneasy about putting my contacts on the cloud...

You are not alone, especially in light of recent disclosures by government agencies. If you decide to use CompanionLink, just select USB SYNC as your sync method. Nothing goes to the cloud in that setup.

Note: we do not currently have software that works directly with Thunderbird.

rtbcomp

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Sam at Contacts <-> Excel has now fixed the bug that didn't import work address fields, so I now have a quick & easy way of getting my contacts from PC to Tablet via the USB cable.