Remote controlled Whiteboard?

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Is there an app that I could install on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 that would turn it into a Whiteboard that I could control from my Galaxy S4 or my home desktop PC?

I'd like this to put in my mother-in-law's room. At the moment, I'm using an actual whiteboard, where I maintain the Day and Date, any appointments coming up (she thinks she has one every day; in reality, it's one a month at most). Most importantly, it has the location of my wife (and me) and our phone numbers (m-i-l can drive a "steam" phone, but mobiles/smartphones are beyond her).

There are also answers to key questions, which come up about 40 times a day:

Q: Did you have a dog as a child. A: No, I was allergic to dogs.
Q: Was the bombing bad where you lived during WWII? A: No, I was still a sperm/ovum trying to meet, during WWII.

Keeping this up to date is a task that the tablet could do almost by itself, once I'd told it to display the Day and Date, and pertinent facts.

If there's nothing off the shelf, what are appropriate means of tempting a developer to build a bespoke app? I used to be a website author before I retired, and I could almost do this in a day, by setting a browser on the tablet to repeatedly fetch a webpage from the Apache server on my desktop PC (http://swiftys.org.uk/ but don't get excited; it's the dullest page on the web). However, I'd like the tablet display to be utterly void of any controls, because m-i-l is an inveterate finger-poker. She's probably avoid the buttons on the tablet (they're hard to find in the leather case that holds mine)

If I get all of this working, then I'll need the strangest Galaxy Tab 10.1 accessory: A flashing neon sign, saying "Read this" with an arrow pointing to the display...

P.S. Anagram of "Mother in Law": "Hitler woman" :)

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I know of no such app. My advice would be to ask on the Android Developer community on Google+. It's mostly good people there, and if anyone has time between projects I'm sure someone could whip it up pretty easily. Good luck, sir!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the Google+ community suggestion. I've been meaning to look around there, but lacked motivation, until now.

I read what the devs talk about. I don't ever post in it. From what I see they're a helpful group of people and a great community. I'm sure someone would undertake your project. You may have to pay for it, but they'll do it, I'm sure.

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I read what the devs talk about. I don't ever post in it.
After a promising start, this turned out to be a dead end (for me). I found my way to Google+ Communities, but then to my dismay there were several "Android Developers" communities. I picked the first one, and didn't understand where it took me. There was a baffling selection of entries, none of which seemed to result in any discussion. Nevertheless, I tried to join (as I couldn't otherwise make my presence felt). My application was roundly ignored, and given my ability to forget about things these days, this seems to be the end of this trail.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
After a promising start, this turned out to be a dead end (for me). I found my way to Google+ Communities, but then to my dismay there were several "Android Developers" communities. I picked the first one, and didn't understand where it took me. There was a baffling selection of entries, none of which seemed to result in any discussion. Nevertheless, I tried to join (as I couldn't otherwise make my presence felt). My application was roundly ignored, and given my ability to forget about things these days, this seems to be the end of this trail.

Try this one:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105153134372062985968

It's public, anyone can join and post.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae