1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Using prepaid local carrier sim cards while travelling internationally

I've read that one need only pop in a prepaid local carrier sim card while travelling to use those networks, but is it really so simple?

I live in Korea and travel quite often, but I've never tried to use my phone (beyond wifi) internationally, so I'd love to hear about anyone's experience in that area.. especially if anyone has experience using their phone primarily in another country and using local carrier sim cards while visiting the US.

Looking forward to the Sony Z1/Honami.. but thinking practically.
    Last edited by Manningham82; 08-28-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Using prepaid local carrier sim cards while travelling internationally

Quote Originally Posted by Manningham82 View Post
    I've read that one need only pop in a prepaid local carrier sim card while travelling to use those networks, but is it really so simple?

I live in Korea and travel quite often, but I've never tried to use my phone (beyond wifi) internationally, so I'd love to hear about anyone's experience in that area.. especially if anyone has experience using their phone primarily in another country and using local carrier sim cards while visiting the US.

Looking forward to the Sony Z1/Honami.. but thinking practically.
    It really depends on the device and what radio frequencies it supports. In some cases you might have to edit a few settings to connect the device to another network abroad. As the prepaid carriers if your device is supported and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Using prepaid local carrier sim cards while travelling internationally

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    It really depends on the device and what radio frequencies it supports. In some cases you might have to edit a few settings to connect the device to another network abroad. As the prepaid carriers if your device is supported and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help.
    Ok, well I guess the details will be out next Wed so I'll start looking into it from then

But granted hardware compatibility.. are there a lot of hoops to jump through when buying a prepaid sim card or is it just as simple as going to a carrier store, picking up a prepaid sim card from the shelf, paying for it and popping it in?

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Manningham82 View Post
    Ok, well I guess the details will be out next Wed so I'll start looking into it from then

But granted hardware compatibility.. are there a lot of hoops to jump through when buying a prepaid sim card or is it just as simple as going to a carrier store, picking up a prepaid sim card from the shelf, paying for it and popping it in?
    I have never done it, so can't help you in that area. However, I would imagine that the process could be really simple unless the carrier tries to sell you add-ons.

Cool Re: Using prepaid local carrier sim cards while travelling internationally

Hello guys.
    I started to use travelsim ( it`s a roamnig simcard) cause using my simcard while traveling was waaaaaay to expensive. It connects automatically to local operators, in many countries incoming calls are free, and they have discount data packages( which is awesoooome ) Important thing that phone needs to be unlocked! Card works with "call-back" But they offer free app for android to hide it, so u can call like from a usual phone. Here`s the link by the way, if somebody gets interested