Removing ScreenLock Password - Galaxy Samsung S4

Cmdan

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem myself and sorted it out this morning, once you re-type your password you need to choose swipe screen or what ever you had before

Amber Light

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. Today I thought I would experiment with adding a password. No problem setting one, but I am finding it a real pain. So I decided to disable it. And I cannot. When I go into settings, and then into screen lock settings, I get only three choices. I can have a pattern, I can have a pin or I can have a password. The options of swipe and none are both greyed out. Is there any way to get them ungreyed out so I can enable swipe only? I tried rebooting the phone and that did nothing. I have changed the password 3 times and now have it set to a pattern, but I would prefer none.

Akbar Ali5

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
GO to settings> security (its only for S4, click more and find security option)>click "Clear Credentials" and now try to check your lock type.. go to settings again, click on my device, lock screen, put your pin number, you will see all the options again.

hearmetalk

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I also had problems with the "swipe" option being greyed out. The work around I used was to go to settings, My Device, type in "credentials" in search field, clear credentials, then go back into Screen Lock, enter pin/password then you are able to select "swipe"

Hope this helps.

Khalad Goheer

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
To Disable Lock screen, drove me crazy until someone advised: goto Settings, into More, Security, Clear credentials and walla, it now gives me an option under My Device, Lock Screen, where after putting in my lock "credentials", I had an option to "None", when before this was greyed-out.
Thanks

Qaas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Removing ScreenLock Password - Galaxy Samsung S4 Mini

Hello,

If you remember your Screen Lock PIN code and want to remove it, the method below worked for my device (Samsung S4 Mini, Android version 4.4.2)

Enter
'Settings'->'My Device'->'Lock Screen'

Then, in the 'Screen Security' tab, you will read 'Screen Lock: Secured with PIN', hit it, and you will be prompted to 'Confirm PIN'
Enter your Screen Lock PIN and hit 'Continue'

A new window with the tab title 'Select Screen Lock' is opened now and in the list below this tab,
'Swipe' is the first option to get rid of Screen Lock PIN requirement or you may choose whatever security caution enlisted you like,

Best regards,
q.

Andral Centroid

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to rohan1991 for the "Clear Credential" tip and especially, Akbar Ali5 for the more detailed procedure.
To enable another temporary user of my mobile (Samsung Galaxy S4, Android 5.0.1 on Verizon), I also had to:

unlock screen with Pattern|PIN|Password
Settings (Personal) > Security (Credential storage) > Clear credentials
Settings (Personal) > Lock screen (Screen security) > unlock screen again with Pattern|PIN|Password

Then all choices were re-enabled in Settings (Personal) > Lock screen (Screen security) > Swipe|Pattern|PIN|Password|None

Erin Henry

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I put a password on the screen lock but now want to revert to swipe

is it possible to remove the password without resetting to factory data?

Had to go to settings, more, security, remove credentials and then I was able to change my lock screen setting back to swipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Going to Lock Screen/Screen lock and setting it to none would work just as well - with a lot fewer stops along the way.