HOW to transfer content from OLD phone (screen BLACK/phone works) to NEW phone

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
So my old HTC Senesation 4G had to be replaced due to the screen being BLACK (I got rain in it and it went to turn it on and the screen curled up BLACK and can't view anything). Phone WORKS because you can press buttons and swipe on the screen and you can see things happening.. Just nothing to view.

Phone is set to CHARGE so I can't just plug in the cable to the computer.

I want to transfer the content (contacts, txt messages, voice recordings, pics, videos) to either the NEW phone (HTC ONE), transfer it to a PROGRAM on the computer and then transfer those to my HTC ONE.

There ARE android software to recover and view content on the computer. The problem (I haven't downloaded any of these software tho) is that they all seem to require the phone be read from the computer. But when the phone was set to CHARGE, when you connect the cable it just tries to charge the batter in the phone rather than DISK MODE.

I have VERY important info on that other phone that I can't figure out how to get off :-(

I SINCERELY appreciate anyone's' help.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Short of fixing the screen you may be out of luck. The only other hope you may have is if you had USB debugging enabled on your device. If that is enabled, you may be able to access the phone with adb and pull the info off via command line. If you had it enabled let me know and I'll help you out with it.

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I went to WirelessWave and noticed right away that under a flourescent tube lighting you can see the screen (top part since the Weather Widget is very large). But it's like trying to watch tv with 98% TINT. It's VERY hard to see it.. Other than the weather widget which you can JUST BARELY make out what it is at certain angles using that light overhead.. You can see movement but can't tell what it is..

Wireless wave told me the same thing about the Debugging mode but said unless I can view the display enough to toggle the settings, they can't do anything..

I WISH there is a way to brighten it even using different light.. Black light?

Is there NO software that can be installed on the phone to transfer the screen to the computer, OR a tv??

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok I have SOME news (hopefully will help?)

I was able to see about 0.5% of the screen using an undercounter flourescent light and using the Weather widget as a guide I was able to get into the CHARGE/DISK DRIVE screen by plugging in the USB cord. It was set to CHARGE so the computer would not acknowledge it. Through trial and error (20+ times) Cleaning the screen, press a button see what happen.. and using the FINGER PRINTS that my fingers would leave, I was able to click each feature of that screen.

I have a couple options that I don't know if will help.

I can toggle CHARGE, DISK DRIVE, HTC SYNCH, USB TETHERING, and INTERNET PASS-THRU

Now having it set to DISK DRIVE, the computer now will read the cell as a drive.. But the HTC SYNC software that I downloaded from srkmagnus's link doesn't acknowledge it.

With the light I can barely see the top 2 inches of the screen. There is nothing working that I can make out visually that will allow me to see the bottom half of the screen.

Does this help at all??

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's what you should do:
Try to find a compatible MHL cable for the phone. Ask friends and family. If not, buy one from Monoprice. Make sure it's compatible with your phone, do some research to find out if it's 5pin or 11pin. They only cost a few dollars. Hook it up to your HDTV and use it to enable debugging. Let me know when you've gotten that far.

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Turns out that the SUPER BRIGHT "flashlight" app on my HTC Sensation has a better job of reading the screen than the tube light does.

I am able to get into the settings mode but it's VERY VERY VERY hard to see what I am doing as the background is BLACK with white text.. very difficult but MIGHT be able to do it.. How hard would it be to get to USB DEBUGGING? (I think that is the mode I need to be in for them to transfer all to my new phone?)

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
they wrote that "Developer option" ON. but can't seem to find it.. REALLY hard to see when I can't really tell where I am..

I looked in the manual pdf to see what the Developer screen looks like to see the placement of the options, etc but can't find it in the pdf.

Paul Lodge

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I THINK I have USB Debugging on.. When I clicked the area, I seen a box say something about this was for development purposely only.. A seen a "cancel" on the LEFT and I assumed a save on the right.. I clicked the right and that box cleared.. I can't tell WHERE I am looking to see if it's set to ON or not.. And also where the "Developer Option" is to set it to ON.

I wish there was a screen I can see online to show the developer options screen so I know where things are placed..

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Go to developer.Android.com and download the SDK with Eclipse. While you're doing that, go to the phone manufacturer's website and download and install the usb drivers for the phone. I'm assuming you're using Windows, correct me if necessary.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
We are going to only use adb. Do you have the proper drivers installed for your device?

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app