Is my Hero half-bricked? Please HELP

klopinator

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this short.

Was running CM 6 on my Hero, but Sprint replaced it due to internal charger issues, so I unrooted and got a new one.

New phone runs, stock:

2.1-update1
Baseband 2.42.01.04.27
Kernel 2.6.29-bc0d2cff htckernal@and18-2 #1
Build number 2.27.651.6 CL169236 release-keys
Software Number 2.27.651.6

So (yes, call me stupid) I had ignorantly placed the Unrevoked.apk on my SDCard, without reading properly (and being so used to being able to fix anything I'd ever screwed up before...) and upon receipt of the new phone I immediately went and installed the apk, ran it, and it said DONE.

What I hadn't checked was that the Software was required to be reverted first to 2.27.651.5.

I rebooted into recovery with the intent on installing CM 6 immediately, and got a picture of my phone with a red triangle/exclamation point.

Now that I've done the proper research, I was supposed to

Now, every time I attempt to enter recovery mode, I end up with that error. No matter what I do.

I assume I screwed up my bootloader? I can get into Fastboot mode. It still says S-ON for the radio.

The phone still boots fine, still functions properly, unrooted. Data and voice.

I tried using the Sprint update, just to get it to a point where I can enter recovery:
http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/htc/executables/htc_sprint_hero_mr_2.27.651.6

Here it reboots to bootloader and sits on "waiting for Bootloader" until it times out and gives me error 171 - can't connect to device.

I also tried using the Fresh version, that reverts to .5...to no avail.

And of course, I don't have adb access because I'm not rooted.

So...any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've hunted for over 24 hours for this same issue online, and can't seem to find it replicated. And getting another new phone doesn't seem likely at this point.

And I won't be offended, I knew better. Harass me.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this short.

Was running CM 6 on my Hero, but Sprint replaced it due to internal charger issues, so I unrooted and got a new one.

New phone runs, stock:

2.1-update1
Baseband 2.42.01.04.27
Kernel 2.6.29-bc0d2cff htckernal@and18-2 #1
Build number 2.27.651.6 CL169236 release-keys
Software Number 2.27.651.6

So (yes, call me stupid) I had ignorantly placed the Unrevoked.apk on my SDCard, without reading properly (and being so used to being able to fix anything I'd ever screwed up before...) and upon receipt of the new phone I immediately went and installed the apk, ran it, and it said DONE.

What I hadn't checked was that the Software was required to be reverted first to 2.27.651.5.

I rebooted into recovery with the intent on installing CM 6 immediately, and got a picture of my phone with a red triangle/exclamation point.

Now that I've done the proper research, I was supposed to

Now, every time I attempt to enter recovery mode, I end up with that error. No matter what I do.

I assume I screwed up my bootloader? I can get into Fastboot mode. It still says S-ON for the radio.

The phone still boots fine, still functions properly, unrooted. Data and voice.

I tried using the Sprint update, just to get it to a point where I can enter recovery:
http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/htc/executables/htc_sprint_hero_mr_2.27.651.6

Here it reboots to bootloader and sits on "waiting for Bootloader" until it times out and gives me error 171 - can't connect to device.

I also tried using the Fresh version, that reverts to .5...to no avail.

And of course, I don't have adb access because I'm not rooted.

So...any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've hunted for over 24 hours for this same issue online, and can't seem to find it replicated. And getting another new phone doesn't seem likely at this point.

And I won't be offended, I knew better. Harass me.

Have you replaced the modified file with the Stock Rom? I kept getting an error on my Evo with an outdated modded file (rooted ROM I guess?). I deleted the file through mounting the SD on my computer, deleted the file inside and recovery would boot up fine.

klopinator

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
file?

I'm sorry....which modified file?

I suppose it makes sense that whatever unrevoked did should be reversible somehow, considering the action was taken on an unrooted phone in the first place?