Map Apps

cecmt14

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone know of an app where I can overlap or layer two different maps? My goal would be to overlap a map I have on file onto a modern map, maybe google maps or a similar program. Any ideas?

Thank you

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone know of an app where I can overlap or layer two different maps? My goal would be to overlap a map I have on file onto a modern map, maybe google maps or a similar program. Any ideas?

Thank you
What format is the map you have on file? It's it a jpeg or something similar? You can possibly use a photo editing app to overlay both images on top of each other.

Specifically, what are you trying to achieve? Perhaps we can provide better ideas to help you solve your problem.

cecmt14

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It is a jpg file.

My goal is to overlap an old map from the 19th century onto a present day map to better locate a road that used to pass through the area.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I would hazard a guess it's going to be a bit difficult with a .jpg file. I don't know much about mapping but can foresee some technical hurdles, such as scaling.

Without knowing if there's a way to make it interactive (probably is with a lot of work), what I would do is probably get it as close to the scale of the same area in Google Maps (with both facing north of course) Then do a screenshot of Google maps and overlay your jpg on top of it using a image program like Photoshop, Gimp or Paint.Net and set the transparency of the top layer low so the other image shows through.

That would be my "quick and dirty" solution just to overlay two maps since it sounds like just a one-time thing you want to do for one specific area. Someone with a little more technical know-how (and patience) than me might be able to provide a better solution, but doing the above couldn't take more than about 15 minutes if you're familiar with an image-editing program. The trickiest part will get the image to be roughly the same scale as Google Maps at one of the zoom levels.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you have the image as a .jpg couldn't you load that file over the other and adjust the transparency and placement to line it up? This way you can see one map over the other. Otherwise, I can't think of a specific solution that would suit your needs. I'll keep a look out and see what I come across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae