is there a good android phone with physical qwerty keyboard?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
hi! i switched to android two months ago from blackberry. i bought an HTC ONE and am mostly pleased with it. there is however one obvious and painful flaw with it (and all other popular phones): the virtual keyboard. i can't get used to it. every single day i curse the keyboard. every single day is filled with frustration. i need to talk and type on my phone more than any other feature. i am tempted to go back to blackberry, and give up all of the cool modern apps that i have on my ONE. still, i can't get instagram on a blackberry and as a photographer that is deadly. (yes i tried sideloading...it barely worked). anyway, is there such a thing as an android with physical keyboard? i mean a good one? i know they are out there, but does anyone have and love a particular model? i am with t-mobile, and love them, but am not afraid to switch carriers for the right device.

bonus question: is there a game or app i can download to my ONE that will help teach me how to type on this f-ing touch screen? I HATE IT!!

please note: i am using swift key. i have tried the google keyboard and it is good. i have also tried fleksy. but swift key is far better IMO. still, nothing compares to the BB keyboard.

thank you!!!

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
There is no Android phone with a physical keyboard that is as good as any BB physical keyboard. There are older Androids that have a full keyboard but I don't know of one that will be as up to date as your One. I used a Samsung Galaxy Epic for a few years that had a slide out keyboard but it certainly is no HTC One when it comes to specs or just about anything else. The Motorola Photon also has a physical keyboard but they run on older systems. You might not mind that. I would just give it time. It took me a while to get used to Android and iPhone when I switched from BB.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered any of the third-party keyboard apps in the Play Store? Although your issue is with the virtual keyboard, third-party keyboard apps can make your typing experience more pleasant by assisting with better prediction/correction. I use Swiftkey and it's been great. It's a paid app, but has a 30-day trial period so you can see how it feels/works for you.

Otherwise, there is no mobile phone with physical keyboard that matches the specs of the HTC One that is currently available.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
There is no Android phone with a physical keyboard that is as good as any BB physical keyboard. There are older Androids that have a full keyboard but I don't know of one that will be as up to date as your One. I used a Samsung Galaxy Epic for a few years that had a slide out keyboard but it certainly is no HTC One when it comes to specs or just about anything else. The Motorola Photon also has a physical keyboard but they run on older systems. You might not mind that. I would just give it time. It took me a while to get used to Android and iPhone when I switched from BB.

thank you. yes i should have specified: i am looking for a current model, with current hardware specs AND physical keyboard. i am no phone maker, but why on earth does this not exist? i know i am not the only one that wants this. is it a pipe dream?? will someone buy blackberry and put an android OS on a blackberry device? oh woe is me!!!!

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered any of the third-party keyboard apps in the Play Store? Although your issue is with the virtual keyboard, third-party keyboard apps can make your typing experience more pleasant by assisting with better prediction/correction. I use Swiftkey and it's been great. It's a paid app, but has a 30-day trial period so you can see how it feels/works for you.

Otherwise, there is no mobile phone with physical keyboard that matches the specs of the HTC One that is currently available.

yes it's in my original post. i am using switfkey (paid or pro or whatever they call it) and i have tried google keyboard and fleksy. i am sure i will continue to improve with practice. but i also thought i would have adapted by now. sad.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
yes it's in my original post. i am using switfkey (paid or pro or whatever they call it) and i have tried google keyboard and fleksy. i am sure i will continue to improve with practice. but i also thought i would have adapted by now. sad.

I too came from a physical keyboard device (Palm Pre Plus) and it does get better with time. For one thing Swiftkey learns your habits over time. I also use a touch screen stylus for typing when I am having a bad day & having difficulty with typing accuracy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I personally would jump on an HTC One with a slide out keyboard, oh yeah. Sigh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

dsm3

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the new NEC Terrain. I came from a Blackberry 9700 and I have had very few issues with this phone. None with the physical keyboard. It is the closest thing to a BB that I could find.

beckytigeress

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i was wondering if the nec terrain is a good phone or not? and if it has any issues? I live in the usa and i'm not sure if i should buy it i wanted to be sure that it is a good phone :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I realize this thread is a few months old, but I'm still putting in my two cents.

The LG Enact was the last Android phone that I heard of that comes with a QWERTY. The drawback is that it's only available on Verizon.

The last Android phone that I used personally with a QWERTY was the Motorola Photon Q, which was only available on Sprint.

It's sad to see QWERTY's dying out. I loved texting on my Photon Q. No one's going to believe me, but I could regularly text upwards of 50 WPM on my Photon Q. I had a race with a coworker once who loved using Swype - he could Swype around 45 WPM, while I texted on my QWERTY around 50 WPM. Nothing else comes close to pushing physical buttons. Plus you save screen space every time you're browsing and need to text something.

I truly miss my Photon Q. If there was an unlocked GSM Android with a QWERTY, I would pick it up in a heart beat.

MBEnterprises

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree I would jump at the chance to buy a decent phone with physical keyboard. I am STILL using an HTC Touch Pro 2 (I think called a Tilt or Leo in the states) running a very custom ROM WM 6.5.
I need a phone that syncs well with outlook - mail, calendar, tasks, notes and I also save all SMS's for legal reasons
I do also have a Samsung Android phone, but hate Samsung Kies - it really just doesn't cut the mustard

NickTShow

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I use the Motorola Droid 4. The slide-out keyboard is the best in the business. Check one out for yourself; I cannot understand why ANYONE would prefer to be rubbing on glass all day.

brian4591

Trusted Member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ummm, the BlackBerry Q10 would work for you.

It has a physical keyboard
Runs android apps (has android app stores directly on phone now)
And bonus.... Has HUB, Peek and Flow!

:)