Phone Restarts on All App Force Closes

am505

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I am an Android developer and I'm having a weird issue where after I successfully rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 (following a guide from androidcentral) every time my phone encounters an application force close, the phone will freeze up and eventually restart. Before rooting my phone, whenever an application would force close all I would get was a notification telling me <application name> had closed unexpectedly, as it should in Android. Now I'm not seeing that, phone just goes to black and then restarts. This wouldn't be a huge deal, but since I'm using it as a development platform, having your phone restart every time your application crashes takes a lot of time.

What's really weird is that Logcat will continue to scroll (in Eclipse) even after the phone is frozen to input (so its not a system wide lock up).

Anyone have any ideas on where to start with this? Otherwise I may be un-rooting to see if that gives me back that functionality.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I am an Android developer and I'm having a weird issue where after I successfully rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 (following a guide from androidcentral) every time my phone encounters an application force close, the phone will freeze up and eventually restart. Before rooting my phone, whenever an application would force close all I would get was a notification telling me <application name> had closed unexpectedly, as it should in Android. Now I'm not seeing that, phone just goes to black and then restarts. This wouldn't be a huge deal, but since I'm using it as a development platform, having your phone restart every time your application crashes takes a lot of time.

What's really weird is that Logcat will continue to scroll (in Eclipse) even after the phone is frozen to input (so its not a system wide lock up).

Anyone have any ideas on where to start with this? Otherwise I may be un-rooting to see if that gives me back that functionality.

Have you tried wiping cache and factory reset in recovery?

am505

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have not tried this yet, if no one has any other ideas I think that may be my only choice left. Might try it this weekend and let the forum know if that helps.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You'll likely need to factory reset. It's not always required when rooting. However, can sometimes be helpful and fix the issue you are describing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae