Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Dropped Galaxy s3 In Water & Now The Screen Doesn't Work When I Touch It(HELP!!)

I was in the pool when I dropped my phone in it. It was only submerged for about 2 seconds. I was at a friends and they didn't have white rice so i had to put it in brown rice-- all day. Then today I put the battery in it and it acting the same, everything works but when I touch the screen it doesn't do anything. It has now been in a air tight sealed bag full of white rice for about 3 hours... It still doesn't work.. PLEASE HELP!! I have college tomorrow and I need my phone....

Default Re: Dropped Galaxy s3 In Water & Now The Screen Doesn't Work When I Touch It(HELP!!)

Three hours is nothing. If you search the forums, you'll see recommendations are a minimum of 24 hours, with 48 hours preferable. The fact that you've powered the phone up multiple times doesn't bode well for it, however. Electronics, water and electricity don't go well together.

Take the battery out, leave it in rice for 2 days, and hope for the best. No matter how badly you want to see what's happening, do NOT put the battery back in until it's been sealed in rice for 48 hours.

The real answer, of course, is to not take your phone near the pool any more, much less in the pool.
    kenziemichelee likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Dropped Galaxy s3 In Water & Now The Screen Doesn't Work When I Touch It(HELP!!)

Anyways, thank you for responding so quickly I really appreciate it.

You're starting college and you don't know what "bode" means or how to look it up? Football scholarship, huh?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Um, I accidentally turned my phone back on after I dried it and the touch screen wasn't responding to my fingers or the stylus. Will this affect the chances of the rice working? (Already took the battery out and have it in rice)
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Kaneko View Post
    Um, I accidentally turned my phone back on after I dried it and the touch screen wasn't responding to my fingers or the stylus. Will this affect the chances of the rice working? (Already took the battery out and have it in rice)
    Keep both the battery and the phone in dry rice in a closed container for a week. Exchange the rice for 'fresh' dry rice every day. If you test it after a week and see no improvement then it's definitely a goner.
    Sorry.

Oh, and next time don't post in a year old thread. Make a new one.

Global Posts
    20,119 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

1) Pool = chlorine = hydrochloric acid = etching copper.

2) Battery connected to phone with hydrochloric acid on the electronics = electroplating some metal from where it should be to where it shouldn't be, which means some open circuits and some shorts. It's a slow process - some phones take a few months to completely die.

Read Wet Phone

I wish there were some world-wide whiteboard that everyone has to read, on which I could post "IF YOUR PHONE GETS WET, IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THE BATTERY, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO BREAK THE BACK COVER OFF! THEN WASH IT IN ALCOHOL - EVEN 70% ISOPROPYL - ABOUT 5 TIMES TO GET ALL THE IMPURITIES OUT OF IT." That's the most important thing to do with a wet phone. (And, by removing the battery immediately, I don't mean in 5 minutes, I mean if the phone hits the water as your pants fall down, get the battery out before you pull your pants up. That kind of immediately. Five seconds is all it takes to set things up so that the phone will eventually become recyclable electronic waste.

In your case, you need a new touch screen. But even if you replace it, the phone will slowly erode, to the point that you have to replace the phone, so save yourself time, money and aggravation, and replace it now. About the only time rice will actually work (silica gel will work faster) is if you drop the phone into triple-distilled water when the battery isn't in it. ANY other water has impurities, and it's those impurities that will destroy the phone. (Pure water isn't a very good conductor, so it won't cause that much of a problem - even if the battery is in the phone for a minute or two.)
    Banned

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    1) Pool = chlorine = hydrochloric acid = etching copper.

2) Battery connected to phone with hydrochloric acid on the electronics = electroplating some metal from where it should be to where it shouldn't be, which means some open circuits and some shorts. It's a slow process - some phones take a few months to completely die.

Read Wet Phone

I wish there were some world-wide whiteboard that everyone has to read, on which I could post "IF YOUR PHONE GETS WET, IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THE BATTERY, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO BREAK THE BACK COVER OFF! THEN WASH IT IN ALCOHOL - EVEN 70% ISOPROPYL - ABOUT 5 TIMES TO GET ALL THE IMPURITIES OUT OF IT." That's the most important thing to do with a wet phone. (And, by removing the battery immediately, I don't mean in 5 minutes, I mean if the phone hits the water as your pants fall down, get the battery out before you pull your pants up. That kind of immediately. Five seconds is all it takes to set things up so that the phone will eventually become recyclable electronic waste.

In your case, you need a new touch screen. But even if you replace it, the phone will slowly erode, to the point that you have to replace the phone, so save yourself time, money and aggravation, and replace it now. About the only time rice will actually work (silica gel will work faster) is if you drop the phone into triple-distilled water when the battery isn't in it. ANY other water has impurities, and it's those impurities that will destroy the phone.

^This

(Pure water isn't a very good conductor, so it won't cause that much of a problem - even if the battery is in the phone for a minute or two.)
    It isn't?
    Try staying in that pool or in a river when lightning hits it!

On second thoughts... better NOT try that!