Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Visual voicemail options?

Until yesterday I had no idea what visual voice mail was although I heard the words a few times. I got a free trial on my phone and, saw something about $9.99 but no way jose. But then up popped the text of what someone left in a VM! And because I have the Moto X I donít even have to unlock the phone to see the msg, so having this would be PERFECT for me. HATE checking VM. But then I saw something about $1.99 also pop up on my screen but that might have been a supplement on top of the $9.99. I went to sprintís site and see VVM to text a different service, So I guess thatís the $2. So now Iím confused about the whole thing and thought Iíd ask here.

Can someone tell me more about my options? I do hear people talk about google voice, not sure how that works, I guess I route all my calls to it or something. What are the negatives about GV as compared to VVM?

Also, $2 a month Iíll do, but no way jose on the $9.99.

Anyone want to fill me in on my options? TIA. (Iím with Sprint if that makes a difference)

Also, I donít know what the other features of VVM are, but Iím really interested in the VVM to text. : ). And, are there any other super helpful features in VVM?
    Last edited by paisley99; 09-12-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Default Re: Visual voicemail options?

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    Until yesterday I had no idea what visual voice mail was although I heard the words a few times. I got a free trial on my phone and, saw something about $9.99 but no way jose. But then up popped the text of what someone left in a VM! And because I have the Moto X I donít even have to unlock the phone to see the msg, so having this would be PERFECT for me. HATE checking VM. But then I saw something about $1.99 also pop up on my screen but that might have been a supplement on top of the $9.99. I went to sprintís site and see VVM to text a different service, So I guess thatís the $2. So now Iím confused about the whole thing and thought Iíd ask here.

Can someone tell me more about my options? I do hear people talk about google voice, not sure how that works, I guess I route all my calls to it or something. What are the negatives about GV as compared to VVM?

Also, $2 a month Iíll do, but no way jose on the $9.99.

Anyone want to fill me in on my options? TIA. (Iím with Sprint if that makes a difference)

Also, I donít know what the other features of VVM are, but Iím really interested in the VVM to text. : ). And, are there any other super helpful features in VVM?
    NOTE: I'm not a Sprint customer, but hopefully this will help...

If I were you, I'd give Google Voice a try as your voicemail provider. While I'm not completely sure exactly what Sprint offers in terms of VVM specifically, for the most part GV will do everything that most VVM providers do...for free.

When you enable GV for voicemail, it simply routes all unanswered calls to your GV mailbox instead of your carriers voicemail service. Once it's setup, it literally works exactly the same as standard VM in the sense that it is completely transparent to the person calling you as to what service you are using, they simply hear your outgoing message (which you can record and customize through the Google Voice settings) and then they are prompted to leave their voice mail message. When you receive a message, it comes in through the GV app and you can also set it up to send an email to your gmail account as well. Just as VVM does, it will attempt to translate the message to text as well. On some phones, you can even integrate GV voicemail alerts with the standard dialer so that they even look just like normal VVM messages.

To me, the best thing about VVM (or GV) over standard voicemail service is the fact that the messages are sent straight to your phone, so you don't have to dial in to retrieve messages...plus the voice to text is pretty nice feature as well.

Getting setup to use GV for voicemail service varies by carrier, but I believe with Sprint you can literally set it up right from the Google Voice app, so it's pretty easy.

To me, there is really no downside to using GV for voicemail -- it's free and offers most if not all of the same features that carriers make you pay for to use their VVM, plus because the VMs are saved to your Google account, you can access them anywhere and even take them with you if you switch carriers and phones.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Another nice thing about Google Voice is that if, for some reason you change or lose your cellphone number, your GV number always stays the same, so people can always call your GV number. (And you might be able to pick one you really like.)

I use it on my Nexus 4 on AT&T and it works great. Definitely worth a shot.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4