Need help with Gmail IMAP setup

ChanHol

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to Android, and am on a Nexus 4. I can't get Gmail/IMAP set up on any apps other than the Gmail app.

I simply cannot use the stock Gmail app because of conversation view. Without debating the merits of conversation view, it is simply dysfunctional for my needs, and there is no way to turn it off on the Gmail app. So that app is out. And that's where I have hit a roadblock.

When I try to set up Gmail/IMAP in the Email app, K-9, AquaMail and MailDroid, I get errors.

For starters, I am trying to do this via WiFi. At first, I thought that perhaps the problem was a port block, by I am able to telnet to all relevant ports at the servers, so that's not the case. I have triple-checked the IMAP is enabled in my Gmail acct, and I found a link to check to make sure my account wasn't locked, and that Google link indicates that it's all good.

WIth K-9, the problem is the outgoing mail server. I can receive mail (though some times like this morning, it will take 30 minutes before new messages appear, after turning the phone on). That's annoying, but at least it eventually works. The outgoing server settings I'm using:
SMTP: smtp.gmail.com
Security: SSL/TLS (always) [though I've tried all options here, none solve the problem]
Port: 465 [and I've tried 587]
Authentication: LOGIN [I've also tried none, "Automatic", "Plain", "CRAM-MD5"]
Username: full gmail address
Password: obviously quadruple-checked to make sure it is right

For the stock Email app, I cannot even get incoming configured:
Username/password correct
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security: SSL/TLS [again, here I've tried all options]
IMAP path prefix [left blank]

When I click "next", it checks the settings and returns an error: "Couldn't finish - Couldn't open connection to server."

MailDroid and AqualMail, same problems -- cannot set up incoming or outgoing.

I have two Gmail accounts, and I have tried them both. Reset the phone to factory settings and tried again.

On Saturday, I was on the phone for an hour with someone at Google, who was able to replicate the problem in the Email app with her Gmail acct on her Nexus 4. But she had no solutions for me. She said she would ask around and get back to me, but that was 5 days ago, and I haven't heard anything. No response to my follow-up email to her on Tuesday morning, either.

I am desperate, and very grateful to any solutions. Email is the #1, by far, use for my phone--over voice calls. If I can't get this worked out, I fear I have to switch over to iOS, as that's easier than switching out of Gmail.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Outgoing:

smtp.googlemail.com
port 465
connection security: SSL/TLS
authentication:normal password (login should work)

This is taken from my working email program that uses gmail as the outgoing server.

IMAP is incoming mail only. (So is POP3 - those are the 2 choices for incoming mail, aside from proprietary things like Exchange.) Outgoing mail is always SMTP (or Exchange).

ChanHol

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, those are the settings that I'm trying to use. Simple mail transfer protocol for outgoing. The IMAP settings I listed are the *incoming* settings that are not working in the stock Email app.

corsair1564

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem, with a twist. The settings work fine on my Galaxy S4 in the stock email app from anywhere, using wifi or 4G. On my Lenovo tablet, using the stock email app, aquamail, etc., Yahoo mail works fine. Gmail will connect from any network except the one at my office. From there, it gives the "Couldn't open connection to server" error. I've tried the alternate server imap.googlemail.com as well. Tried using port 995, but since Yahoo connects through port 993, that doesn't seem to be the problem either.
Any ideas?

Diny M

May 16, 2015
Visit site
How to turn of Gmail Conversations on Android App using IMAP

HOW I TURNED OFF GMAIL CONVERSATIONS ON MY ANDROID PHONE - GALAXY NOTE 4.

- Logged into my Gmail account on my Windows computer, Settings (Ships Wheel *), Settings, Conversation View = OFF
- On my Android phone, used the MAIN Android Settings (Ships Wheel*)/Accounts/Google to select and Delete the Gmail Account
- Then used the Settings WITHIN the Gmail App (press 3 horizontal Lines then page down to Ships Wheel *) to "Add account" type "Personal (IMAP/POP)".
Settings I used were:
> Incoming IMAP server: imap.gmail.com , Port: 993 , Security: SSL/TLS
> Outgoing: smtp.googlemail.com, port 465 , connection security: SSL/TLS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC