problems with default PDF reader

jcc52590

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

So I recently got a nexus 7 tablet for school. I have been installing various document apps to try and I downloaded "king soft office". When I downloaded a PDF file from chrome, it prompted me to which app I would like to use to open the PDF file. I chose king soft office and accidentally pressed always as default. I didn't want to use it as my default PDF so I went to my settings to clear default settings, however the button for it was not enabled. I tried uninstalling the app but after, my PDF files would not open through downloads. I get "can't open file". I downloaded king soft office again and the PDF files automatically opened through there. I have tried deleting the app again and Resetting all app preferences and still does not work. I have done a factory reset on my nexus and WITHOUT logging in, tried downloading and opening PDF from downloads and still will not open. If anyone has any other ideas or can help me please let me know, :( I've tried everything

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

So I recently got a nexus 7 tablet for school. I have been installing various document apps to try and I downloaded "king soft office". When I downloaded a PDF file from chrome, it prompted me to which app I would like to use to open the PDF file. I chose king soft office and accidentally pressed always as default. I didn't want to use it as my default PDF so I went to my settings to clear default settings, however the button for it was not enabled. I tried uninstalling the app but after, my PDF files would not open through downloads. I get "can't open file". I downloaded king soft office again and the PDF files automatically opened through there. I have tried deleting the app again and Resetting all app preferences and still does not work. I have done a factory reset on my nexus and WITHOUT logging in, tried downloading and opening PDF from downloads and still will not open. If anyone has any other ideas or can help me please let me know, :( I've tried everything

Welcome to the forums! Is the puppy yours?

As for your question, did you go into Settings>Apps> click menu and click reset app preferences? Was that the path you took to deleting preferences?

jcc52590

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Is the puppy yours?

As for your question, did you go into Settings>Apps> click menu and click reset app preferences? Was that the path you took to deleting preferences?

Haha no the puppy is not mine. Cute isn't it?

Yes that is how I deleted the preferences. I did it several times and also went into the preferences for chrome, king soft office, and downloads and manually cleared the data.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Haha no the puppy is not mine. Cute isn't it?

Yes that is how I deleted the preferences. I did it several times and also went into the preferences for chrome, king soft office, and downloads and manually cleared the data.

That should have worked. Other than a factory reset, I am out of ideas.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you go to Settings/Apps, hit the menu button, and tap "Reset app preferences" (which resets all app preferences instead of just one)? So in other words, don't try to reset the individual app's preferences, but do it globally.

jcc52590

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
What happens if you go to Settings/Apps, hit the menu button, and tap "Reset app preferences" (which resets all app preferences instead of just one)? So in other words, don't try to reset the individual app's preferences, but do it globally.

Yep I tried resetting all of it as well. Still doesn't work.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yep I tried resetting all of it as well. Still doesn't work.

Is there any other pdf viewer installed? Consider downloading another and see if that allows you to select another app to view pdf files.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

jcc52590

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Is there any other pdf viewer installed? Consider downloading another and see if that allows you to select another app to view pdf files.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Yep I have adobe reader installed but it won't prompt me to which default PDF reader I want to use. It just says "can't open file"

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try wiping the cache partition, which is temporary system data (i.e., you won't lose any important data):

1. If your tablet is on, power it off.
2. Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
3. Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
4. Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
5. While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
6. When you release the buttons, the Recover Menu should appear. Select "Wipe Cache Partition," and press the power button to execute.
7. When it's done, highlight "Reboot System Now " and press the power button.

jcc52590

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Try wiping the cache partition, which is temporary system data (i.e., you won't lose any important data):

1. If your tablet is on, power it off.
2. Press and hold Power until the device powers on, then immediately press and hold Volume Down (while still pressing Power). You will see the word Start with an arrow drawn around it.
3. Press Volume Down twice to designate Recovery mode.
4. Press Power to restart into Recovery mode. You will see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
5. While holding down Power, press Volume Up.
6. When you release the buttons, the Recover Menu should appear. Select "Wipe Cache Partition," and press the power button to execute.
7. When it's done, highlight "Reboot System Now " and press the power button.

Just tried it :( still doesn't work. Lol I'm wondering if I should just go back to ncix and ask them to exchange it for a new one haha. But this SHOULD be fixable

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, let's try this. Go to Settings/Apps/All, find Document Viewer. First, clear its cache and Force Stop it. Then try downloading and opening a PDF again. If that still doesn't work, then try Clear Data, although to be honest, I'm not sure what data is on there, so can't guarantee what information might be lost.

jcc52590

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, let's try this. Go to Settings/Apps/All, find Document Viewer. First, clear its cache and Force Stop it. Then try downloading and opening a PDF again. If that still doesn't work, then try Clear Data, although to be honest, I'm not sure what data is on there, so can't guarantee what information might be lost.

I think I may have found my problem. Is there supposed to be an actual system app called "document viewer"? I thought that the native app used office suite? Anyways if that's the case I don't have "document viewer" for some reason? Ugh so much hassle... I wonder if king soft office knows that their app has this glitch of not being able to clear it as a default though cause that would have made my life easier.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Document Viewer is the stock Android app to view PDFs. It's on my Nexus 7 (original, not 2013 edition), so you should have it, too. Make sure you're looking under Settings/Apps/All. If you don't see it under the D's, then scroll all the way to the bottom to see if you or someone else might have disabled it at some point. If you see it in the disabled list, then tap it, and tap "Enable."

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Its not there at all, not disabled either. So what should I do from here then? (Oh and yeah mine is a nexus 7 2013)

Have you tried to do a factory reset?
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to notify kingsoft Office of this?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.