S4 Factory reset not restoring my wifi password

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Well i guess it didn't :p You don't know your password to wifi? If not go check router configuration, some router dont hide password in configuration, if not then set it again... and remember.

tadpole

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That is not particularly helpful. Many of us have multiple wifi connections (home, work, friends, etc. etc. etc.). Google claims to be backup up your wifi passwords (if you have enabled that in your phone settings). Trouble is that it often does not restore these automatically after doing a factory reset or flashing a custom rom. The question the OP had is if there is a way to force google to restore these passwords after a reset. I'd be interested in finding this out too. I have figured out a workaround though. Be sure to make a nandroid backup before doing a reset/flash rom (assuming that you have root and recovery). Using Nandroid Manager from the Play Store you can then recover the wpa_supplicant.conf file from /data/misc/wifi and put it back into the same location in your root directory. OR just copy the file and put it on your sdcard and you can copy it back to /data/misc/wifi after the reset/flash.

It would be nice if the Google backup feature would just work to restore them though. Seems to work sometimes and other times not. I haven't figured out why. Anyone?

SalixIncendium

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
There should be a check box during the reset process that gives you the option to restore from a Google and a Samsung account backup. I've reset my phone with both of these checked and all of my Wifi connections still populated under settings. Hopefully you backed up to these prior to your reset. If so, another reset with these checked should resolve the issue.

Posted via Android Central App

tadpole

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I almost always do a nandroid backup when making significant changes to my phone so I almost always have a way to recover settings /data etc. I always have reset my phone from cwm or twrp recovery and not from the settings menu. It would just be nice if the Wifi password backup would always restore after a reset/rom flash. And yes my phones are always set to backup that up to my Google account automatically :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech