Android Newbie: Looking for a HTML5 only browser

Sreekanths22

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I entered the Android world with a Nexus 7 (2012) edition recently.

I create some webpages which I want to make sure that it works in HTML5 browsers. The way I go about the testing is, I first create the webpages in my laptop, copy the folder to my Nexus 7, and open the index.html in the browser.

Now, I heard that Google Chrome is a HTML5 browser. But I am unable to open my html file in that when I open it from File Manager. I tried Dolphin Browser, but it crashes the moment it opens.

So, is there any other HTML5-only browser I can use for this purpose?

Sreekanth

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Why not just put up http server on PC and connect to it to browser of your choose?

There some ready packages that install all server software you need like xammp:

apache friends - xampp for windows

If all you want is use html (without on server scripting) you can try to find some mini HTTP servers.

After you set up HTTP server on PC you just type in LAN IP of your PC as address and it will load the page from it :) It also should be alot easier to work like that as you can update file on PC and just refrash browser on phone and you got new version, without need of transferring files

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I second that. Opening an HTML file in a browser isn't the same as having it served to the browser.

And there's no such thing as an HTML5-only browser. A browser that can handle HTML5 has to be able to handle HTML1, 2, 3 and 4 also. HTML5 isn't all of HTML, it's just extensions and changes to HTML4. Writing a page that won't gracefully fall back to HTML4 is the wrong way to go, because if a user is running a browser that doesn't handle a function you're using, he's going to see either nothing or garbage. Make sure that your page runs properly in all the common browsers - IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari, at least.

Sreekanths22

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks for your suggestions.

One of the reasons I am testing on my tab is to check for layout changes/ constraints (if any) of viewing on a smaller device. So I don't prefer to testing on my laptop.

Secondly, when I said HTML5-only browser I meant a browser that does not support Flash content.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
HTML5 should not be compired to Flash, as flash is not even part of the browser. HTML5 is a newest HTML standard, a languege you use to make website, Flash is just external HTML plug-in which just views swf files, same as Windows Media Player or QuickTime plugin you can use :p I recommend to use HTML5 even if there Flash and fallback to flash only if browser does not support specific HTML5 features

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa