Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadowriver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will Android Apps Have Better Looking UI in the Near Future?

I had a Note 2 and got rid of it a couple months ago and went back to iPhone. I'm contemplating going back to the Note 2, but some of the app interface were very ugly compared to the iPhone. For example, the CNBC app and some tips calculator app, basically any app that has numpad are ugly.

I'd like to know if these apps will be getting a more elegant UI any time soon?

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Will Android Apps Have Better Looking UI in the Near Future?

Well, this is subjective, but I know what you mean. A lot of iOS apps look more polished still. That is slowly changing. With Android I'd imagine it's "What version of Android am I developing for?", "What screen resolution am I developing for?", "What graphics capabilities does the hardware have?" I'm no developer but if they're coding for the good performance on lowest common denominator of device then that plays a huge factor. However, IMO, Android looks better than ever and there's so much you can tweak to make your device uniquely yours. I am quite unhappy that some developers are just lazy though. I can't even play Monopoly on 2 out of 3 of my devices...the ones with newer versions of Jelly Bean and higher-res screens. Good ole EA, lazy...grumble, grumble.

The Order Odonata. There can be only one.
    Live long and prosper.

It nothing subjective and has nothing to do with screen sized and hardware specs and so on.... if you look on CNBC app he mention everything becomes obviues

The shininess of pre-Holo UI

The problem here is history of Android UI. Before Honeycomb and ICS Android didnt have common UI shematics (like menus, bars and so on) and 0 guidelines, as when you design an app you have empty canvas where you can place buttons and other controls. As there was 0 hints what to do with them (other then looking on other applications... but rarely do that) devlopers feel complete freedom of design, as result it created ton of designs which does not fit to each other, to make matter worse lot of companies to save time used designs from iOS and Windows Phone and sometimes mix it with Android contrlls resulting horrors like this (the UI of this app still gives me nightmares ever since i first run it, it the worst Android UI design i ever seen):

Also UI graphics it self didn't look pretty. All of this + OEM UI skins resulted that Android UI lack integrity, it didn't have idenity that would let you say that this is Android application on first look.

But one day Google when they decided to move Android to the tablets (Honeycomb) they got there **** all toghether and finally design proper UI design for Android and common UI elements (most importently now symbolic "action bar"), something that iOS had since very beginning and thats why iOS feels more integrated and nice. They name it Holo UI:

They also made proper guidelines for UI design:

And ever since Android UI getting better and better and finally got it identity

Now you asking yourself why there still a problem, there 2 issues:

1. New UI works nativly only past Honeybomb and ICS, if you want to make app work on older devices you need to do fallbacking to old UI which is painful to do. But now this point is outdated because A. there more post-ICS devices now B. Google published liberies allowing to new UI work on old devices

2. and most importent issue.... applications does not redesign by themselves. Lot of apps been abendend before ICS was announced, there for they never been giving Holo UI support (and NBC app you mentioned is one of examples of such apps), there lot of one time applications made by amartures or just for traning which are also abendend and never willl look better. Some applications got staborn developers which push there crazy UIs design (Androdi still gives oyu freedom if you like), some developers are simply lazy and didnt update the UI yet

In other words Android already did what they should did to make UI better... thru it's ugly UI history got it self in **** will stay on it for many years to come on Google Play store, but every day it should be better iOS got also this plus (thru developers hates it) AppStore got review process which enforce devlopers to follow guidelines (in iOS you also can design UI from empty canvas), thats why most apps use same principles and feel unified.

Android users always says that iOS looks always the same and it't boring... but what they don't realize (because Android was as it was) if you make UI for other developers to use, you should change it as rarely as possible because change may create horrors like 2 first pictures. When Windows maintained same UI principle made in Windows 95 to Windows Vista for many years, same as iOS keeped there UI for many years until now, Android had not principles at all, changing look on every version in search of it's identity... until Honeycomb and ICS which should (and oyu should expect) to stay for many years.

In simple answer to you question: it's just matter of time for Holo UI increase it range and everyday Android UI will look nicer
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Thanks for the explanation.

The Order Odonata...there can be only one.
    Live long and prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    It nothing subjective and has nothing to do with screen sized and hardware specs and so on.... if you look on CNBC app he mention everything becomes obviues

The shininess of pre-Holo UI

The problem here is history of Android UI. Before Honeycomb and ICS Android didnt have common UI shematics (like menus, bars and so on) and 0 guidelines, as when you design an app you have empty canvas where you can place buttons and other controls. As there was 0 hints what to do with them (other then looking on other applications... but rarely do that) devlopers feel complete freedom of design, as result it created ton of designs which does not fit to each other, to make matter worse lot of companies to save time used designs from iOS and Windows Phone and sometimes mix it with Android contrlls resulting horrors like this (the UI of this app still gives me nightmares ever since i first run it, it the worst Android UI design i ever seen):

Also UI graphics it self didn't look pretty. All of this + OEM UI skins resulted that Android UI lack integrity, it didn't have idenity that would let you say that this is Android application on first look.

But one day Google when they decided to move Android to the tablets (Honeycomb) they got there **** all toghether and finally design proper UI design for Android and common UI elements (most importently now symbolic "action bar"), something that iOS had since very beginning and thats why iOS feels more integrated and nice. They name it Holo UI:

They also made proper guidelines for UI design:

And ever since Android UI getting better and better and finally got it identity

Now you asking yourself why there still a problem, there 2 issues:

1. New UI works nativly only past Honeybomb and ICS, if you want to make app work on older devices you need to do fallbacking to old UI which is painful to do. But now this point is outdated because A. there more post-ICS devices now B. Google published liberies allowing to new UI work on old devices

2. and most importent issue.... applications does not redesign by themselves. Lot of apps been abendend before ICS was announced, there for they never been giving Holo UI support (and NBC app you mentioned is one of examples of such apps), there lot of one time applications made by amartures or just for traning which are also abendend and never willl look better. Some applications got staborn developers which push there crazy UIs design (Androdi still gives oyu freedom if you like), some developers are simply lazy and didnt update the UI yet

In other words Android already did what they should did to make UI better... thru it's ugly UI history got it self in **** will stay on it for many years to come on Google Play store, but every day it should be better iOS got also this plus (thru developers hates it) AppStore got review process which enforce devlopers to follow guidelines (in iOS you also can design UI from empty canvas), thats why most apps use same principles and feel unified.

Android users always says that iOS looks always the same and it't boring... but what they don't realize (because Android was as it was) if you make UI for other developers to use, you should change it as rarely as possible because change may create horrors like 2 first pictures. When Windows maintained same UI principle made in Windows 95 to Windows Vista for many years, same as iOS keeped there UI for many years until now, Android had not principles at all, changing look on every version in search of it's identity... until Honeycomb and ICS which should (and oyu should expect) to stay for many years.

In simple answer to you question: it's just matter of time for Holo UI increase it range and everyday Android UI will look nicer
    /thread

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Slender Troll View Post
    /thread

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    +1 thanks so much for the thorough explanation!