SD card not detected

John Zacharia

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hii everyone,
I having been using my HTC incredible s for more than a year now. yesterday suddenly. the SD card is not getting detected. I checked the card on another phone a lumia and its detected. I added another SD card on my HTC and that is also not getting detected. I tried the normal cleaning procedures :p but still no luck. Would it be a hardware problem or can i sort it out in some other way??
Thanks for the replies!! :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You've already done the first things I would've suggested--testing another card on your phone and cleaning the slot as best as you can. Did you drop the phone recently? If so, maybe it jarred the SD card loose, and possibly damaged the mechanism that keeps the SD card fully seated.

The only thing I can suggest at this time is to try a full factory reset, but of course that can be a hassle. Hopefully someone else will suggest something less drastic.

John Zacharia

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
hi,
No i hadnt dropped the phone recently. Hmmm i am not very keen on a full factory reset :p . If nothing works i would try that. Let me wait for a couple more days googling to find a solution. Thanks for the update anyway :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem is most likely mechanical - one of the springs in the SD socket isn't making good contact with the card. The solution is simple - replace the socket. It's a very cheap part (a few dollars retail) but the labor for someone who knows how to do it right is going to shock you.

Danielle Scaggs

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem...I had a windows phone, took the SD card out and put it into my Pantech phone. It worked just fine in the Windows, but it cant be read in the Pantech. It doesn't look like there are any scratches on it, I have even tried blowing off "dust" that may have been on it, still won't read...

John Zacharia

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
The problem is most likely mechanical - one of the springs in the SD socket isn't making good contact with the card. The solution is simple - replace the socket. It's a very cheap part (a few dollars retail) but the labor for someone who knows how to do it right is going to shock you.

Thanks Rukbat..will give it to a shop and see what happens.

samsung note 3

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a samsung micro sd 32gb
I got a notification saying it had malfunctioned and now it wont load in my samsung note 3 or any other mobiles ive tried....please tell me all my pictures and music arnt lost and how can i fix this? :(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the card went bad, you might be able to recover some data. Connect the card to your computer (use a card reader if your computer doesn't have an SD slot) and run PhotoRec - CGSecurity on the card. It'll get anything that can still "be gotten" from the card. Everything else is lost. (This is why ANY file that you MIGHT consider important should be backed up to at least 2 independent destinations. Even if Dropbox crashes with a total loss of data, the odds that both Dropbox and your laptop's hard drive will fail on the same day are astronomical.)

Appy Pop

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Im using samsung s4. My hp could not detect my sd card. Even when i put i side the computer, still its not detected. And there's lot of of important stuffs on my sd card. How to retrieve it back?

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
How to retrieve it back?

Why didn't you read the post directly above yours?

If the card went bad, you might be able to recover some data. Connect the card to your computer (use a card reader if your computer doesn't have an SD slot) and run PhotoRec - CGSecurity on the card. It'll get anything that can still "be gotten" from the card. Everything else is lost. (This is why ANY file that you MIGHT consider important should be backed up to at least 2 independent destinations. Even if Dropbox crashes with a total loss of data, the odds that both Dropbox and your laptop's hard drive will fail on the same day are astronomical.)

NesvellePascua

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My SD card awhile ago cant be detected by my android phone. I tried another SD Card but it didnt work too. I tried my SD Card on a Nokia Phone but it said it has a password. When I tried using a USB cord to connect my android to PC, it didnt work too. I also used a card reader but it did the same thing. I'm afraid to execute the factory reset because i will lost all my messages. My android phone is in 4.1 JellyBean. Can you please help me? I will owe you a lot. Thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions. God bless you :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A factory reset has nothing to do with being able to read an SD card. (Aside from the fact that anything you don't want to lose should be backed up. You can refuse to do a factory reset, but you can't refuse to let that car drive over your phone when you drop it in the street.)

It sounds as if 1) your phone has a hardware problem with the SD card socket and 2) is corrupting cards you put into it. You should bring it into a ship for an estimate.

qupekask

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the same a 32 gb micro SD card by NEXXTECH. When i opened my phone on morning the sd card didn't show up so I plugged it in the computer and the computer couldn't recognize...it was like there was no micro SD card inside. So I've read the previous posts and I tried the TestDisk but the micro SD card still doesn't show up. What can I do to recover the data on the card?

Aqib Zahoor

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
i have Android Mobile. (HTC MyTouch 3g Slide - android 2.3)
my sd card suddenly stop working and showing notification (sd card removed- insert a new one)
please help me in this matter how i can detect my sd card and recover my all data (card by Gigastone) you can contact +923048040158.

Last edited:

mylovely5h

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
So I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 & I've been using my 16GB (Samsung MicroSD) card for a long time now. I even used it when I had the S2 & everything was going perfectly well. Just recently (2 days ago) my SD card isn't being deteched all of sudden. I did everything I can think of, I did a hard reset (removing the battery & the card, then putting them back in) I updated my frimware for my phone. I even gave my card to my sister & see if she can read it on her phone but still nothing. My PC won't read it too.

I don't know what's wrong. Is there anyway I can fix it? This memory card has pretty much all of my stuff on it. I really need it to work.

- Thanks

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Try looking for a data recovery app in the play store. The card might still be OK but best to try getting whatever off it you can. Maybe there's software you could use on it on the computer too. There's one I saw recommended here the other day but I can't remember the name of it. :/

ehloweeez

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I have a micro SD card that I have been using for several years now, but my tab suddenly stopped detecting it. I tried inserting it into my phone but it still wasnt detected. I also tried cleaning the pins but nothing happened.
Can I still save this? Its really important to me cos it has a lot of my files in it..

It's a 16GB micro SD card bought from cd-r king btw..

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me on a san disk 64g card. My office used some pc recovery tools and were able to extact my pictures. Also formatted the card to use again. Just don't trust it enough to put back in my phone. Backup frequently to other source. These cards don't last forever.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante