Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD card not detected

Hello all,

I have a sd card that was working on my phone, suddenly sd card stopped working and my phone cant detect him. I tried to connect on my pc and my pc also dont detect it.
    Tried in various ways, tried with usb phone cable, tried with card reader tried with usb card reader, my sd card is just not detected.

I Also tried various softwares to format it but i cant do anything because nothing detect the card.

Please dont tell me to format sdcard, or mount sdcard in phone etc.... cant do anything because i cant acces that option because sdcard IS NOT DETECTED!
    If any of you know what to do to fix issue please tell me.

- Sd card is not locked
    -kingston 16 gb micro sd HC

Thank you
    Last edited by manelc; 09-15-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Default Re: SD card not detected

Well it pretty obviues, damage is on card and card is not so servisable, only thing you can try is to clean pins
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    Well it pretty obviues, damage is on card and card is not so servisable, only thing you can try is to clean pins
    Clean pins? The card is new.... bought 2 weeks ago..but sure i will clean the pins.

Any other suggestion if this not work?

Thanks
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Pins cleaned, result: not worked :/

What kind of sd card is it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by eman619 View Post
    What kind of sd card is it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    kingston 16 gb micro sd HC
    Kingston micro SDHC Class 4 + Adapter – 16GB - PC Gadget Mall

It may just be a bad or counterfeit SD card, which is a relatively common problem. Did it come in original sealed packaging, or was it in unlabeled packaging? If the latter, I'd suspect it was counterfeit. If you just bought it, see if you can return or exchange it.

Posted via Android Central App
    qxr

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    It may just be a bad or counterfeit SD card, which is a relatively common problem. Did it come in original sealed packaging, or was it in unlabeled packaging? If the latter, I'd suspect it was counterfeit. If you just bought it, see if you can return or exchange it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Agree. I have replaced 2 sd cards in the last 2 months. Both cards became unreliable and neither card did anything other than get removed from their packaging and placed into devices. Exchange and if possible go with a name brand just in case.

B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by manelc View Post
    Clean pins? The card is new.... bought 2 weeks ago..but sure i will clean the pins.

Any other suggestion if this not work?

Thanks
    Guaranteed solution: return it, it's still new and still under warranty. Get a replacement. Don't waste hours of your time on a low value memory card.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    B. Diddy and qxr like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

yes tt came in original sealed packaging, tomorrow im going to the store see if they give me a new one.

Thank you all

Question Re: SD card not detected

what do you mean by clean the pins ?
    i need your help because i am also suffering from same problem

Quote Originally Posted by dharita View Post
    what do you mean by clean the pins ?
    i need your help because i am also suffering from same problem
    Welcome to Android Central! The person was referring to the exposed gold contacts on the SD card. You can clean those contacts using a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.

my SD card is from CDR King..it has a 4g maximum capacity ...
    I was using it for my BenQ camera.. I uploaded photos with the use of a card reader to a PC.but.. it wasnt able to read the datas again when I inserted it back to the camera....
    .. After a few "TRY AGAIN""" the camera read the datas..
    Then I uploaded pics again.. but now... the PC wont read the card... and so did my camera..

WHAT WILL I DO??? Please help me..
    I tried to format it,, but It wont do because the PC cant even read it.... NOT DETECTED...

thank you...

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Try Data Recovery Software, Solutions, Tutorials, Forum - ZAR Data Recovery Photo recovery is free. If ZA won't read the card, it's a piece of plastic that you can use to shim a short table leg.

This is one reason I buy nothing but SanDisk cards. They're the manufacturer (Kingston buys chips and puts them together to make cards), and they stand behind their products. Their failure rate is also much lower than Kingston's. (Samsung is also a manufacturer - the only one other than SanDisk - but SanDisk is a much easier company to work with.)

Also be aware - an SD card is a consumable. IOW, every SD card will eventually go bad. If you have important files on an SD card, have them backed up somewhere else.

To whom it may concern,

I have micro SD card plug in to my phone but the phone will not detect it. I tried it on my computer and the micro SD card is working. My phone is running with 4.2 Jelly Bean. What should i do to make it working. Pls. help, thank you.

Welcome to Android Central!

First, are you sure you have pushed the microSD card all the way in? Usually, it will click into place.

If it's fully seated and still not detected, then perhaps it is in the wrong format. What size is the card? If it's >32 GB, there's a good chance it's formatted in exFAT, which is not compatible with most Android devices. You need to format it into FAT32, which probably needs to be done on your computer. Devices can often detect if the card is incompatible, and offer to format the card for you, but not always.

Please let us know what brand and model of phone you're using, and the capacity of the microSD card you're using.

I have a sd card that was working on my phone, suddenly sd card stopped working and my phone cant detect him. I tried to connect on my pc and my pc also dont detect it.

And i tried different sd card also dnot detect it.

Pls. help, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathsa Sri View Post

And i tried different sd card also dnot detect it.

Pls. help, thank you.
    Welcome to Android Central! What kind of phone do you have? Some phones don't handle SD cards that well, and seem to actually corrupt them sometimes.

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Sounds more like El Cheapo SD cards (where El Cheapo starts with a "K"). Anyone running an SD card should have SD Insight installed, and run that on every new card. You'd be amazed at how many "32GB Class 10" cards are actually 2GB or 4GB Class 4 memory chips programmed to say that they're larger and faster. And the packaging? With a good scanner and a laser printer, you can print an exact duplicate of the packaging for 5 cents. (I wish I remembered where, but yesterday or the day before I saw some ads for 4GB Class 4 cards for 9 cents each. I was ready to buy all they had. You can always use them for flash-boot cards.)

Edit: Found the ad. 9 cents for the card, $4.99 for the shipping. Well, how much more could they charge to throw in a few more grams of cards. So I ordered 100 cards. $9 for the cards, $499 for the shipping. Tomorrow Best Buy and I will have a little talk - they have a few SanDisk cards at a nice price. Not Extreme plus, but for the price they'll do nicely.

(If I were dishonest, and didn't mind the flight to Shenzhen, I could make a few million on SD cards before Memorial day. 49 cents and they'll program and print the card to be any brand, speed and size you want. Including "original" packaging.)
    Last edited by Rukbat; 02-04-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Anyone running an SD card should have SD Insight installed, and run that on every new card.
    This is a good tip! I wasn't aware of this app. Will file this away and suggest to others!

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    This is a good tip! I wasn't aware of this app. Will file this away and suggest to others!
    At least it told me that my bargain SanDisk (16GB for $8 over a year ago) is a real SanDisk.

Hii everyone,
    I having been using my HTC incredible s for more than a year now. yesterday suddenly. the SD card is not getting detected. I checked the card on another phone a lumia and its detected. I added another SD card on my HTC and that is also not getting detected. I tried the normal cleaning procedures :P but still no luck. Would it be a hardware problem or can i sort it out in some other way??
    Thanks for the replies!!

Welcome to Android Central! You've already done the first things I would've suggested--testing another card on your phone and cleaning the slot as best as you can. Did you drop the phone recently? If so, maybe it jarred the SD card loose, and possibly damaged the mechanism that keeps the SD card fully seated.

The only thing I can suggest at this time is to try a full factory reset, but of course that can be a hassle. Hopefully someone else will suggest something less drastic.

hi,
    No i hadnt dropped the phone recently. Hmmm i am not very keen on a full factory reset :P . If nothing works i would try that. Let me wait for a couple more days googling to find a solution. Thanks for the update anyway

ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

The problem is most likely mechanical - one of the springs in the SD socket isn't making good contact with the card. The solution is simple - replace the socket. It's a very cheap part (a few dollars retail) but the labor for someone who knows how to do it right is going to shock you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast