1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, 7"

I am really really struggling, I'm not a techy person and really would love some help!

I bought 2 Samsung Galaxy 8GB Tab 3's for the kids for them to do games/apps and watch movies on a holiday flight that we are taking in a couple of weeks. I also purchased 2 Samsung 32GB micro sd cards. The cards are in the devices and I can see that they are there when I look at "My Files".

What I am trying to do is purchase movies from the Google Play Store, I bought 2 but they have downloaded them to the tab's internal memory, it doesn't ask me if I want them on the external sd card.

Can someone please please please explain, in very very simple terms, how I download from google play store direct to the SD card? Obviously I want to keep the tab's internal memory for apps. I would be very grateful for any help, despite hours spent googling I am still at a complete loss and feeling very frustrated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, 7"

Welcome to Android Central! Sorry to hear about your frustration.

Movies and TV shows that you purchase from Google Play are typically streamed over the internet, but you do have the ability to temporarily download them to your device. However, as a way of preventing easy copying and distribution (aka pirating), Google doesn't just download the movie as a simple file like [moviename].mp4. They hide it away in an obscure directory under a coded filename, using a format that is essentially copy protected (the format is .wvm, which I don't think can be played by anything except Google Play). The directory depends on your Android version, but it's either /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies, or /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies.

The bottom line is that I don't think you can get a downloaded Google Play Movie to an external SD card. If you purchased the movies, they are always available to you on Google Play. So when you're ready to watch it, either stream it over the internet or download it, watch it, then remove it from your device. It doesn't have to take up space permanently on your tablet.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank You!! At last someone with knowledge to point me in the right direction, hallelujah! And very easy to understand!

I have found the files using the link (the first one) you gave me. There seems to be a facility to "cut and paste", if I tried this and "cut" from sdcard0 and "paste" into extSdCard, if it didn't work I haven't totally lost my files have I..? I can download them again because I have bought them..?

There must be a way of storing movies onto an SD Card from somewhere..?? What's the point of having an external SD Card if I can't put anything on it apart from music and photo's..?

I just worry that my son's tab will have Facebook (which is big?) app and games etc and if I put on 2 or 3 movies then it will be pretty much jam packed..?

Thanks, feeling less frustrated now...

If you're going to try cutting and pasting, I would recommend using the copy function instead while you're testing it out, leaving the original file intact. My concern would be that if you remove the file from its original location, Play Movies might crash since it probably tracks what it downloaded and where the file is. My guess is that you won't be able to play the movie from the external SD, but it's worth a try.

The benefit of the external SD is that you can load a lot of music, photos, and videos directly from your computer, which is what I do. The videos I store are movies from DVDs that I own and rip legally using a program called Tunebite.

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks. I tried to download Tunebite onto my laptop last night but it didn't seem to work very well so ended up uninstalling it.