HTC One is connected to hotel Wi-Fi, but I get no internet. PC and iPad working on same network.

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
So my HTC One says it has an excellent connection to the hotel Wifi, but my internet and other apps say otherwise. Nothing works when connected. Turn Wifi off and go back to 4G, everything is great.

Why might this be the case? My PC and iPad are on the same network and working just fine. Is there some setting/toggle I need to flip.

Honestly, between this, a previous wifi/network issue, and Google Play streaming being a huge letdown, I've got to say that my venture into Android has been really disappointing so far. /rant

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Did you have to go through a web page to put in a wifi password or anything? If so, just open your Android browser and put that in. That's typically the case for hotel wifi networks, but since you connected your PC and iPad, I'm guessing you would have had to do it for those as well if that was the case...

What's your issue with Google Play streaming?

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
No, didn't have to enter a password.

Google Play Music just doesn't stream as well as I'd like. I've uploaded my library, and I figured as long as I had a decent connection I'd be able to stream a song/album with no problem. That's not the case. Even on home Wifi, I can barely stream one song before it stops, buffers, play, stops, buffers, etc... Even music I have 'pinned' to my phone isn't playing correctly. It only plays one, maybe two, songs at a time before it just stops playing. It's like it just stops when my screen shuts off.

And, because I'm not already regretting getting rid of my iphone enough at this point today, now Google Navigation doesn't want to work for me, which is awesome because I'm working out of town this week. It's stuck "Searching for GPS", so I can get a regular map, but there's no turn by turn.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Try moving to another location of the hotel and see if reception is any better. Also, consider a reboot and see if that improves. Re: Navigation, is this an issue inside the hotel? Again, try moving to another location or outside and see if gps is better.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd like the OP to clarify something--when your phone shows it is connected, what happens when you open the browser? Does your homepage open, but slowly? Do you get an error saying there is no connection? As mentioned above, most hotel wifi services will connect immediately to a welcome screen, where you may have to log in or purchase a plan.

Posted via Android Central App

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I can think of is that you have to go through the hotels Web page portal, and agree to their terms of service. Sometimes I have to close all may pages on the browser and reopen it a couple times in order for it to show up. Try a Google search for the hotels name. I can also go into WiFi settings and put your WiFi on best performance setting. It uses more battery life but it picks up the WiFi signal a lot better.

Moto X

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to try is to go to Settings/Wireless/Wifi, select the hotel wifi, and Forget it. Then select it again to log in. If you travel a lot, it may be that you had a previous hotel's network saved under the same name, and your phone is trying to connect with incorrect credentials.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to try is to go to Settings/Wireless/Wifi, select the hotel wifi, and Forget it. Then select it again to log in. If you travel a lot, it may be that you had a previous hotel's network saved under the same name, and your phone is trying to connect with incorrect credentials.

Nice. Never thought of that one.

Moto X

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

There was no hotel login page or anything. Just connect directly to the network. And opening up the browser brought up a page saying the site is unavailable, check your connection, web addrrss, etc.

And to top everything off, the camera started malfunctioninglast night. No longer focuses. Quick Google search shows that this is a known issue on some Ones. Fantastic.

Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon, did a factory reset, and since that did not fix the problems, another phone will be arriving in the mail tomorrow.

Poor WiFi connectivity, still can't find GPS, camera dies...when it rains it pours, I guess.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it really sounds like you got a bum unit. That sucks. Hopefully the replacement is better.

But that stuff is certainly not the norm. If it was, Android wouldn't be the dominating force that it is (picture a giant android stomping around Tokyo at this point)

Tony Margan

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This happens all the time because the web page that requires additional information or a login does not always pop up on the android 'phone. Turning wiifi off several times and "forgetting" logins is not an answer.
The question we need answering is "if I login to a free public wifi at a hotel, airport etc and the secondary login page does not pop up, how do I get it to? If I can't can the experts at android update the software so that I/we can? Otherwise the 'phone says you have a strong connection - yes, to their modem - but internet access is not available because you haven't performed the secondary login - usually "Accept"

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This happens all the time because the web page that requires additional information or a login does not always pop up on the android 'phone. Turning wiifi off several times and "forgetting" logins is not an answer.
The question we need answering is "if I login to a free public wifi at a hotel, airport etc and the secondary login page does not pop up, how do I get it to? If I can't can the experts at android update the software so that I/we can? Otherwise the 'phone says you have a strong connection - yes, to their modem - but internet access is not available because you haven't performed the secondary login - usually "Accept"

Chrome seems to be known for not redirecting to the proper portal login page when needed. I've found using another browser will do the trick, then you can go back to Chrome if you'd like. Dolphin is what I use in these cases and has yet to fail to redirect when required to access such a portal.

Tony Margan

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks , though am not on Chrome. Just stock standard google. Will try dolphin.
Chrome seems to be knownr not redirecting to the proper portal login page when needed. I've found using another browser will do the trick, then you can go back to Chrome if you'd like. Dolphin is what I use in these cases and has yet to fail to redirect when required to access such a portal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888