New to android. Migrating from a BB device. Please help.

plainman007

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Im a new user and have just joined.

Sorry to start with such a simple question but im only now going to get an android mobile. For years i was using palm devices and finally the palm treo. After that i was forced to use a BB device for awhile.

Now i want to buy an android based mobile phone. I would like to know if i can sync my android mobile to my outlook 2007. Or alternately is there any freeware PIM which i can use on the desktop just like Palm Desktop. Where i can basically see and edit my calender appointments, contacts and notes/memo pad and if possible To Do List. The four basic things which come in all phones and PIMs.

In simple words i want these four basic things to be available on my phone and in sync with my outlook 2007. Im planning to get the Lava Iris 405 (i think its Android 4.2 jelly bean).
All i need is this. And IF i can view and edit excel files with some freeware then that would be an added blessing.
The rest of everything im willing to compromise so i dont need a high end phone. I dont intend to even surf the net from my phone.
Also currently my 1500 or so contacts are in my outlook phonebook. If i can transfer these into my new android phone will be a boon.

Please help me as im just trying to grasp and migrate to this platform.

Thanks

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Syncing the contacts is relatively simple. Use gcontactssync to sync all of your contacts to your Google account. Then set the phone to auto-update/sync contacts with your Google account. It's that easy.

You can easily keep your desktop/online calendar, to-do, contacts updated and in-sync with your Android phone. If you insist on sticking with Outlook, you should be able to keep them synced with Outlook as well. Google Sync

Another app for syncing can be found here: http://www.nirmaltv.com/2011/01/28/synchronize-your-android-device-with-outlook-via-wi-fi/

You can try Kingsoft Office for free editing Excel. It's regularly updated and works well enough. There's several relatively inexpensive options available as well. (Documents To Go is one).

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The only word of caution would be that syncing Outlook notes has historically been a weak point. It looks like there are a number of apps in the Google Play Store that say they can sync notes, but if it's a crucial part of your BB->Android move (i.e., if you have tons of notes), do some research on these apps to make sure they'll do what you want. Read the reviews, and ask others about their experience.

Personally, I would suggest just transitioning everything to the Google Cloud. I used to have everything on Outlook when I had a Windows Mobile phone (some time around The Bronze Age), and when I moved to Android about 4 years ago, I found syncing with Outlook to be too clunky, so I just moved everything to Google. Works so much better this way. If you're absolutely wedded to Outlook, then you might want to check out Windows Phone (which is light years better than the previous versions I had), because I would assume the Outlook sync would be much smoother there.

Good luck!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Im a new user and have just joined.

Sorry to start with such a simple question but im only now going to get an android mobile. For years i was using palm devices and finally the palm treo. After that i was forced to use a BB device for awhile.

Now i want to buy an android based mobile phone. I would like to know if i can sync my android mobile to my outlook 2007. Or alternately is there any freeware PIM which i can use on the desktop just like Palm Desktop. Where i can basically see and edit my calender appointments, contacts and notes/memo pad and if possible To Do List. The four basic things which come in all phones and PIMs.

In simple words i want these four basic things to be available on my phone and in sync with my outlook 2007. Im planning to get the Lava Iris 405 (i think its Android 4.2 jelly bean).
All i need is this. And IF i can view and edit excel files with some freeware then that would be an added blessing.
The rest of everything im willing to compromise so i dont need a high end phone. I dont intend to even surf the net from my phone.
Also currently my 1500 or so contacts are in my outlook phonebook. If i can transfer these into my new android phone will be a boon.

Please help me as im just trying to grasp and migrate to this platform.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums! Hope your transition is an easy one!!

plainman007

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Thank you all for chiming in. What is google sync ?, google account ?. I dont understand these things. Sorry for being very naive to all this. Why would i want to have all my personal and sensitive data online at the mercy of gmail. I just want my data local. I dont want to integrate email etc on my android phone. I just want my contacts (to dial out to them easily), and my notes with all my vital lists etc, and calender and tasks. This data is all now on my BB phone and it syncs via usb to my outlook installed on the PC.

This is all i want and need. Outlook is the replacement of the palm desktop. And my BB replaced my Palm Treo. Now i need to migrate to android. I want something permanent so that when i migrate to my next phone in android also i would like to just be able to go for a newer model much later and still maintain my data seamlessly. Other than this im a dinosaur and dont need email on my phone, I dont need whats app and all those bells and whistles. I hardly even need a game or 2 on my phone.

I dont want to have a google account and gmail etc just for this. Do i have some simple options ? In fact i wont be needing internet on my phone at all or i would prefer it to be offline from start. Like my palm. Its was just a phone with advanced data management features and id prefer something like that.

In a worst case scenario, id have to dump outlook and just work with only my mobile (though this will be very difficult). I hope if i go this route i can regularly back up all my data in simple fashion that would future protect me in terms of allowing me to upgrade to any other android phone and just allowing me to restore my back up onto that mobile. Would this be possible ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Thank you all for chiming in. What is google sync ?, google account ?. I dont understand these things. Sorry for being very naive to all this. Why would i want to have all my personal and sensitive data online at the mercy of gmail. I just want my data local. I dont want to integrate email etc on my android phone. I just want my contacts (to dial out to them easily), and my notes with all my vital lists etc, and calender and tasks. This data is all now on my BB phone and it syncs via usb to my outlook installed on the PC.

This is all i want and need. Outlook is the replacement of the palm desktop. And my BB replaced my Palm Treo. Now i need to migrate to android. I want something permanent so that when i migrate to my next phone in android also i would like to just be able to go for a newer model much later and still maintain my data seamlessly. Other than this im a dinosaur and dont need email on my phone, I dont need whats app and all those bells and whistles. I hardly even need a game or 2 on my phone.

I dont want to have a google account and gmail etc just for this. Do i have some simple options ?

Thanks

Creating the Google accounts is for data restoration. When you get a new android, Google will automatically restore your apps from the last sync.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

plainman007

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Creating the Google accounts is for data restoration. When you get a new android, Google will automatically restore your apps from the last sync.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Hi,

Ok so where does all my data stay on google. Google is the search engine andthe second element i understand is their email Gmail. What should do ? Create a gmail account ? And if yes then all my data goes online and into google or gmail ? I dont know if im understanding this right. I tried googleing up and reading several articles etc to try and get my head around this concept but it still seems eluding.

Regards

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android is a Google product, and thus can be closely integrated with all Google services like Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Contacts, etc. (much in the same way that iPhones are integrated with all of the various iWhatever apps they have). This is for convenience, versatility, and speed. But yes, if you use Google services, the information that you store there is in the Google cloud (as well as locally stored on your device), and a decent proportion of it (primarily search results) can be used by Google and other partners for analysis and advertising. Considering the news these days, I understand your concerns about privacy and sensitive personal data, but there's really no such thing as completely private and undiscoverable email any more, and I don't regard my contacts and calendar events as particularly sensitive. I don't store really sensitive data (like financial account info, Social Security #, etc.) in the cloud--that's in a secure app on my phone and an encrypted file on my desktop.

You don't need a Gmail account in order to use an Android phone, but if you want to take advantage of Android's features, it's helpful to have a generic Google user account--remember, you can associate any of your email addresses with a Google account, it doesn't have to be Gmail. You can then configure the standard Email app (not the Gmail app) to send/receive email from most of your email accounts (although Yahoo is always a pain if you don't have their paid plan). Syncing with Outlook can be done with variable success, depending on the app that you use, but that was discussed above.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I dont want to have a google account and gmail etc just for this. Do i have some simple options ? In fact i wont be needing internet on my phone at all or i would prefer it to be offline from start. Like my palm. Its was just a phone with advanced data management features and id prefer something like that.

In a worst case scenario, id have to dump outlook and just work with only my mobile (though this will be very difficult). I hope if i go this route i can regularly back up all my data in simple fashion that would future protect me in terms of allowing me to upgrade to any other android phone and just allowing me to restore my back up onto that mobile. Would this be possible ?

Thanks

I totally understand where you are coming from as I too don't want all my data in the effing cloud. You can use the same solution I do. DejaOffice (free) on the phone and Companion Link (paid after a trial period) on the computer. It syncs contacts, calendar entries, tasks, and notes from Outlook to your Android phone. Pay close attention to field mappings for contacts. Tell em FishenFool sent you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

plainman007

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I totally understand where you are coming from as I too don't want all my data in the effing cloud. You can use the same solution I do. DejaOffice (free) on the phone and Companion Link (paid after a trial period) on the computer. It syncs contacts, calendar entries, tasks, and notes from Outlook to your Android phone. Pay close attention to field mappings for contacts. Tell em FishenFool sent you.

Thanks for the tip. But i think Deja Office doesn't sync by bluetooth. I can sync by usb but i see the BB port starting to give loose contact issues. What else when we sync it everyday pushing the pin in and out, causes fatigue at the connector and now i have to wiggle and position my BB port in a certain angle when plugged in and only then the pc recognizes it. So i was wondering if i could sync by Bluetooth as i used to with my palm treo. That used to work like a dream and used to sync from 2 rooms away. With zero fails.

I think Syncroid software does bluetooth but it doesnt do notes. Ah theres always a catch isnt it.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. But i think Deja Office doesn't sync by bluetooth. I can sync by usb but i see the BB port starting to give loose contact issues. What else when we sync it everyday pushing the pin in and out, causes fatigue at the connector and now i have to wiggle and position my BB port in a certain angle when plugged in and only then the pc recognizes it. So i was wondering if i could sync by Bluetooth as i used to with my palm treo. That used to work like a dream and used to sync from 2 rooms away. With zero fails.

I think Syncroid software does bluetooth but it doesnt do notes. Ah theres always a catch isnt it.

There is a wi-fi sync option.

plainman007

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
After trying several times. I should report that CompanionLink sales/support is horrible. They give more of the impression of "Buy First, Ask Questions Later". They were quite canned in their sparse replies and very unhelpful, to put it simply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz