Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to stop notification sounds from interrupting music?

For a (Galaxy S3):

Whether it be walking or running using a pair of wired earbuds, or at my desk with my JBL Flip Bluetooth speakers, everytime a text message, e-mail, Baseball highlight, etc... comes in, the notification sound interrupts the music being played. I like having these notifications on, but is there a way to keep the notification sounds on, yet not have the music interrupted?

Thanks
    David...

Global Posts
    22,135 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: How to stop notification sounds from interrupting music?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ726 View Post
    For a (Galaxy S3):

Whether it be walking or running using a pair of wired earbuds, or at my desk with my JBL Flip Bluetooth speakers, everytime a text message, e-mail, Baseball highlight, etc... comes in, the notification sound interrupts the music being played. I like having these notifications on, but is there a way to keep the notification sounds on, yet not have the music interrupted?

Thanks
    David...
    I am not entirely sure that can be changed. That may be in Android itself. I have the Paid Version of PowerAmp, and I can't find a setting to change that. You can Mute the phone and still listen to music. Notifications will still pop up, but won't be heard.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    TeritorialDemon likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Muting does work, thanks, unfortunately when a call comes in the music is completely paused/muted. If I recall correctly, with my prior HTC EVO, the music would only lower in volume which would be a prefered option.

All of the threads I've read seem to indicate that this is an issue which hasn't been resolved. I wonder if this is addressed in some form or another in custom ROMs like Cyanogen? I haven't seen anything discussing that...

David

Global Posts
    22,135 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Muting does work, thanks, unfortunately when a call comes in the music is completely paused/muted. If I recall correctly, with my prior HTC EVO, the music would only lower in volume which would be a prefered option.

All of the threads I've read seem to indicate that this is an issue which hasn't been resolved. I wonder if this is addressed in some form or another in custom ROMs like Cyanogen? I haven't seen anything discussing that...

David
    I am running a custom ROM, based on Cyanogen. Still can't change it.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Grrrr.... It seems like such a simple option to implement, which would let the user decide what interupts the audio experience.

Global Posts
    22,135 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Grrrr.... It seems like such a simple option to implement, which would let the user decide what interupts the audio experience.
    Sorry I don't have better news. Perhaps an app in Play?

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Phone Timeline
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

lol, I know... That wasn't directed at you.

Global Posts
    22,135 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

lol, I know... That wasn't directed at you.
    I didn't take towards me, no sweat.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Phone Timeline

Try this, settings/my device/sound/notifications/silent. Haven't tried it but it might work.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I came here with the same problem. I do know that this is not an issue when I use the default Google Play Music app. That Google Play Music app does decrease the volume so you can hear the notification (on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3) I like some aspects of interface of the Samsung Music app, especially the giant album cover and the fact that it is accessible from the S-View cover screen. But, the interruptions for each notification are a deal killer

Darn. I was hoping that I would have been able to find a solution to this.
    It ruins the song whenever I get a notification. Looks like I will have to mute my settings while I listen to some tunes.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

The only solution to this that I've found (I'm currently using the Galaxy s5) is to use Google Hangouts as my default messaging app, and in the settings panel of the Hangouts chat, you can select to snooze/mute notifications for an hour or even up to 1 day. Once I snooze notifications, all text notifications are muted and my music playback is uninterrupted, unless I get a call. However, Google Hangouts is kind of gimmicky with my S5 because it distorts my picture messaging. The upside of using Google Hangouts is that they recently updated it to merge your Google Chat and text messaging with the same person into one chat box, which is similar to what iMessage does. Pick your poison..

Even when I mute the notifications, I still get a slight pause in the music when a notification comes through. The only thing that I've found that works for me is to select 'in-flight mode' and that way I get uninterrupted music. The downside of course is, you don't get calls and messages through for the duration, so if you're waiting on an important call or email, it won't be an option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Price2 View Post
    Even when I mute the notifications, I still get a slight pause in the music when a notification comes through. The only thing that I've found that works for me is to select 'in-flight mode' and that way I get uninterrupted music. The downside of course is, you don't get calls and messages through for the duration, so if you're waiting on an important call or email, it won't be an option for you.

Simple fix just go to settings and app manager and click on the apps that use notifications and click disable notification "tah dah" no more interruptions except phone calls of course hope this helps.

Not sure about the samsung app! I use a nexus. If you're using a poweramp Just follow this steps
    Setting>Audio>Audio focus- uncheck "short audio focus change"
    Voila! Thank me later :P
    PS: not sure if free has it! Mine is paid.

If this hasn't been answered elsewhere... On my S4, I hold down the volume icon and it let's me adjust volume by feature (like calls separate from notifications). Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Thanks for that simple solution to a big problem brynalee

David
    You should be able to go to airplane mode and turn wifi back on(only does that on certain models) them turn the sound off....
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I think I read something in the release notes for Lolipop that (at least seems to indicate) this issue was addressed. Hopefully that's true!

David

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

i was searching for a solution to the same problem and I came across this. I haven't tried it yet but I'm eager to see if it works.

Silence Notifications While Listening to Music with Don't Pause - XDA Forums

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ontpause&hl=en

I just turn off sound.. If headphones is it u will get ur calls...for everything else u have to keep chkin fone.. Or as suggested b4 hold down volume button turn down the system notifications u don't need...
    Form My Note 4 With Love....