I'd love to buy an HTC One, but concerned about battery

Gregg17

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I currently own an LG flip phone, but it's broken and I need to upgrade quickly to a new phone, so it's time to finally purchase a smartphone. I've narrowed it down to the HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4. My preference at this point is towards the HTC, but my main concern with that phone is the battery life. Unfortunately, most of my friends and colleagues use an iphone, so they don't have any experience with the HTC One. I assume there are ways to minimize battery use, such as turning off Wifi and lower screen brightness.

The main things I'd be using my phone for would be making calls, reading and sending e-mail, taking an occasional photo, and accessing the Web. I'm not a gamer, and don't foresee watching a lot of videos on the phone. So I suppose I fall into the light-moderate user category.

So my questions for HTC users: Do you generally get through the day without charging your phone with similar type of usage described above? Does Blinkfeed use up a lot of battery power? Is there an external battery pack that you'd recommend, which I can carry around for those times when I'm out all day and unable to charge the phone until late evening?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i can't speak to your battery question but i like the S4 over the One by far. you should also consider the Note 3 which has a 3,200 mAh battery. at least check it out before you buy!

good luck.

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you can definitely get a full day out even more with that kind of usage. Personally, I listen to music, light gaming (pretty graphics but bear 5 mins of playtime) and browse the web and I can get through 15 hours fine. Not on screen tune though lol

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Having owned both devices, I can say that the ONE'S battery is more than enough to get you through a full day with moderate use. The s4 battery is slightly better but not enough to pick it over the one for battery alone. Coming from a regular phone to a smartphone, you will see a decrease in battery life simply since the phone does so much more. Before you pick up the ONE, I'd recommend you looking at the Moto X. It's battery is better than either of the others and it's form factor is just more comfortable. Having owned all 3 devices I can confidently say in my opinion the Moto X is the overall best of the pack. Either way you will enjoy your new device:)

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Gregg17

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, Gekko. I'm starting my shopping today at a Verizon store, but probably won't buy anything right away, until I've done some quick research. I'll take a look at the Note 3.

Gregg17

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that's encouraging. Do you use Blinkfeed for news, facebook updates, etc? I'm wondering how much it uses up the battery.

It sounds like you can definitely get a full day out even more with that kind of usage. Personally, I listen to music, light gaming (pretty graphics but bear 5 mins of playtime) and browse the web and I can get through 15 hours fine. Not on screen tune though lol

Gregg17

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your input. Glad you found the battery on the HTC to be good for moderate use. I haven't heard of the Moto X until you mentioned it, but will definitely take a look at one in the store before making a decision.

Having owned both devices, I can say that the ONE'S battery is more than enough to get you through a full day with moderate use. The s4 battery is slightly better but not enough to pick it over the one for battery alone. Coming from a regular phone to a smartphone, you will see a decrease in battery life simply since the phone does so much more. Before you pick up the ONE, I'd recommend you looking at the Moto X. It's battery is better than either of the others and it's form factor is just more comfortable. Having owned all 3 devices I can confidently say in my opinion the Moto X is the overall best of the pack. Either way you will enjoy your new device:)

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's encouraging. Do you use Blinkfeed for news, facebook updates, etc? I'm wondering how much it uses up the battery.

I use blinkfeed A LOT and it doesn't take a huge toll maybe since I don't have facebook but I have a pretty good amount of sources for it to update like ~10 sources. I also use stuff like instagram and 9gag/ chive (lol) a bunch as well

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Here's a little pic of some battery info you might find helpful of my day today

Attachments

• 1379685129884.jpg
    1379685129884.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 11

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
GPE Edition 4.3 on AT&T

Ten hours on with an hour of it being screen time with 79% remaining

Sent from my HTC One

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379741756955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379741756955.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 7

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The battery is great, I get around 12 hours. The lowest I dropped was around 14%.

Besides Calling, Texting, GMail & Browsing I also...

Stream Audio (TuneIn) and YouTube for about an two hours. Add another hour during Thursday & Sunday for NFL using mobile TV.
Listen to Music 3-4 hours.
An hour watching Videos.

Not a gamer but if I'm really bored I play Solitaire. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae