Text Message Download Question

Hollyberries

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I am a newbie android user and have a question about text messages I am receiving on my S4. For the 2nd time in 2 weeks I have received a text message from a local cell phone #, that comes through as a download. I didn't open the first one, and just deleted it thinking it was spam, however I got another one today and it made me wonder. I am a party plan salesperson, so it isn't uncommon for me to get calls/texts from non-contacts. My question is, am I safe to hit the download button and not have anything bad happen to my phone? I'm afraid that I may be missing out on a customer sale by not downloading the text.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am a newbie android user and have a question about text messages I am receiving on my S4. For the 2nd time in 2 weeks I have received a text message from a local cell phone #, that comes through as a download. I didn't open the first one, and just deleted it thinking it was spam, however I got another one today and it made me wonder. I am a party plan salesperson, so it isn't uncommon for me to get calls/texts from non-contacts. My question is, am I safe to hit the download button and not have anything bad happen to my phone? I'm afraid that I may be missing out on a customer sale by not downloading the text.

There should be an option in the messaging settings to have "auto download"
This is most likely a photo someone is sending you. Two options, It didnt download because of your network connection. Or you have the option setting off.
Depending on you carrier. Some still make you "download" the message if its over 3 text lengths long.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Multimedia sent via messaging (MMS, which includes photos and videos) typically requires your mobile data (4G or 3G) to be on. If mobile data is off, you'll get a text notification to download the photo or video; once you turn on your mobile data, tap the download button and wait.

This can also happen if you're the recipient of a group text message.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good question, but I don't think so. You're downloading something, but in order for malware to do damage to an Android phone, you actually have to give it permission to install, which is not the same as just downloading.

- - - Updated - - -

So can downloading it hurt my phone by installing malware or virus?

By the way, welcome to Android Central!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463