Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gmail app is unreliable. Is there an alternative?

Is there an alternative to the "official" gmail app, that will actually notify me of new mail?

Default Re: Gmail app is unreliable. Is there an alternative?

Welcome to Android Central! I've never had any significant problem with the Gmail app. Can you provide a few more details about what the problem is? You're not getting notifications when new mail arrives?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Im not getting any email. No notifications, messages in the inbox are from the day before.

I do not want to deal with this app anymore, I've asked questions, followed the instructions in the answers provided but nothing seems to work.

I just want an alternative to this app that will notify me RIGHT AWAY when a new mail arrives. Not two days after, if at all.

Ok, no problem--but it looks like you didn't ask those questions here, judging by your post count. We have some pretty smart people on these forums, so it wouldn't hurt to solicit more help.

Otherwise, try the stock Email app, or give K-9 Mail a try.

You might want to take a look at this thread: Not getting all notifications with the new Gmail 4.5? Here's how to fix it! As for a third-party alternative, Boomerang has received very good reviews outside of the Play Store, and has a 4/5 on the Play Store itself. It's certainly worth a try.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

well you are very kind!!!
    boomerang is one step forward - at least it shows todays mail.
    problem is, I sent myself an email from another email account like 5 minutes ago and still no notification.
    how hard it is to notify about incoming mail

And I cant setup the native email app, because it asks me whether my mail is imap or pop3 and I have no clue of what those are, but no matter what I choose there is some error popping up anyway

I will try k-9 now
    nope, same problem - imap/pop3 and then a ton of other questions about servers and what not that I can not answer to

Start reading here to learn how to set up your stock Email app to receive and send using your Gmail account:

https://support.google.com/mail/trou.../1668960?hl=en

Another thing to check is to make sure your Gmail sync is checked. In your Gmail app, press menu, then Settings, then tap your Gmail account name. Is "Sync Gmail" checked? If it isn't, you have to manually refresh.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

It is checked, like I said, I've done everything right and I still dont get mail notifications....
    I tried following those IMAP instructions but the screen that "loading incoming server.." is loading forever..

Quote Originally Posted by geeteeage View Post
    It is checked, like I said, I've done everything right and I still dont get mail notifications....
    I tried following those IMAP instructions but the screen that "loading incoming server.." is loading forever..
    Ok, but like I said, there's no way for us to know exactly what you've done before because you only have 4 posts in this forum, all in this thread.

Be aware that it may take quite a bit of time to load data from the Gmail IMAP servers the first time you set it up in a third-party app. Depending on the app, it may just appear to be "loading" for a long period of time. I can't say for sure that's what you're experiencing -- it might be a separate issue, such as a configuration problem -- but it also wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by geeteeage View Post
    Well, list out what you already did so we don't give you repeat information. Then we can go from there.

Sent from my AT&T Galaxy Note 2 on top of a BeanStalk
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Yeah, Thexyz works great with Android mobile sync. It syncs my calendar and contacts too without the need for Google account.