Syncing with Outlook 2003

njmom

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
My Evo just arrived and I need some some help syncing to Outlook. I have been using outlook to sync to my Treo for 12 years and I am just a tab nervous about this. I am thinking companion link software with the cable is my best bet. I would love to be able to sync my contacts, email, tasks, calendar, and memos. What do you guys recommend for this.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The HTC sync app will sync outlook Contacts and Calendar, but not Tasks and Memos. You can connect to your e-mail through the mail app. The HTC Sync app should be on the phone storage and visable once you connect with the USB.

Hope this helps

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
So I have a question to throw out here. I can get the calendar to sync fine using the HTC sync app but it does not import the added events from the phone calender to outlook. I am setting them all in the PC sync calender. Is there a setting I missed or is this just the way it is?

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
I know this might sound a little callous, but it's time to move away from using Outlook for anything other than Exchange based email.

The email app (at least on the Epic 4G) can handle live syncing of Exchange, IMAP, and POP3 accounts.

For your calendar and contacts, I would suggest establishing a GMail account.

For your computer, I would suggest switching to Thunderbird to sort/handle your IMAP and POP3 mail (or, for POP3, you can have GMail automatically import it). You can find a plugin for Thunderbird that will import and allow the management of your Google Contacts. If you wanted, you can also have it pull mail from Google's servers via IMAP.

Once your calendar and contacts are on GMail, it's a no brainer to get them onto your Android phone and everything is synced live (or at least fairly quickly).

Google supposedly has a "Tasks" option but I haven't seen it or an ability to sync it to Android yet (the Pre could do it with Exchange but it was actually kind of clunky). As for Memos/Notes, yeah, I'm a little disappointed in that myself, but there's probably an App in the Market that would provide a memo/notes thing with some kind of backup ability; I haven't really looked (I just use the one that came on the Epic, but then I only have like 6 notes).

Sorry - I just personally find it a little silly to be using Outlook for anything other than Exchange based email at this point - especially 2003, since two newer versions of Outlook have been released since then.

Oh, and if your email system can be used via IMAP but you're still using POP3, I suggest you switch. IMAP tends to allow you to leave mail on the server (including saved folders) more easily.

I know what you're thinking: Why should I get a GMail account when I don't need another email account? Well, I barely use my GMail for email (only with the other GMail users I know personally), but it's great for tracking my personal calendar and contacts. They're in the cloud, accessible through any web browser.

Consider switching. In the long run, I think you'll be happier.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I know this might sound a little callous, but it's time to move away from using Outlook for anything other than Exchange based email.
More arrogant IMO. Though, to your credit, your tone seems to switch to suggesting this rather than telling this to the OP later on in your reply. People can and do have reasons for what they do, whether others get those reasons or not. I do agree that it's worth considering the switch but saying that everyone should switch is a bit much IMO. The world has never been nor will ever be one-size-fits-all.

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
LOL I just had a very "duh" moment ...

The likelihood of her already having a GMail account is high - since Android phones reportedly don't work all that well without one!

And there's a sticky in the forum giving hints as to how to import your contacts and calendar into Gmail (export contacts into CSV file, and export calendar into an ICS file).

It may be actually the easiest way to get stuff "synced", as not all Android phone manufacturers have developed apps to allow cable-based syncing of this data (there may be one or two - can't remember which manufacturer I saw this about recently EDIT: DUH, HTC, which you say you have an EVO), and as a concept it seems to be slowly on its way out (for pretty much everyone except Blackberry).

So, my suggestion holds just a little more weight: Get your stuff into your GMail account and you'll be better off, in my opinion ... and you'll be able to cut the cord!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome