can't get rid of "download failed; insufficient memory" status

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
greetings programs, i've got a droid razr maxx running jb 4.1.2 and i've had an annoying little problem for the last few weeks.

at one point i had maxed out the storage space on both the SD card and the ~8gb of internal phone memory, so as i went to make a download i got a little error up top that said the download failed due to insufficient memory. i took care of the problem and completed the download, but ever since then that little !-in-triangle status has been up top on my status bar, always popping up atop the list of alerts that come up when i pull the top menu down. clicking on it sends me to my downloads page, so i've sorted out all of the filenames even remotely similar to that one and deleted them from the downloads page.... nada.

i can power off the phone, reboot it.... no matter what that status informing me that the download failed due to insufficient memory won't go away..... so does anyone here have any ideas as to what i can do in order to remedy this?

thanks and have a great night

# adm jd awesome, XXVII, esq.

Iristyle

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
FYI - I searched high and low for a solution to this problem, and as it turned out, my /data/log folder was clogged with about 1.5GB of log files, preventing any apps from installing or updating.

I found this thread on the CM forums describing the dumpstate file problem - Log Directory Full Of Dumpstate Files - Samsung Galaxy S II Nightly/Experimental - CyanogenMod Forum

You can use the Log Eraser app to clean everything out (and set the deletion to be performed automatically)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.liamw.root.logeraser&token=C_W4Wx4M

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! So I assume you're rooted and running CyanogenMod, then? That's good to know, but I suspect the OP was unrooted and running stock JB, so it's doubtful that what you're suggesting will help the nonrooters out there ...

stillnotelf

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Admiral Awesome:

I was so happy to see someone else with the same problem, and so sad that the first reply didn't work for me. I did get it cleared, here's what I did:

Pull down the notifications.

Press and hold on a notification. This will bring up a menu to tell you which app it is from (this is a general feature).

It will bring up Download Manager for the "Download failed, insufficient memory" message. Click "Clear data" and watch the notifications go away!

Note: I have no idea what other effects this might have on the phone. The "data" that were cleared was not very much space so I think it will be fine, maybe I'll have to re-input a password or two someplace...

Droidnubees

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Admiral Awesome:

I was so happy to see someone else with the same problem, and so sad that the first reply didn't work for me. I did get it cleared, here's what I did:

Pull down the notifications.

Press and hold on a notification. This will bring up a menu to tell you which app it is from (this is a general feature).

It will bring up Download Manager for the "Download failed, insufficient memory" message. Click "Clear data" and watch the notifications go away!

Note: I have no idea what other effects this might have on the phone. The "data" that were cleared was not very much space so I think it will be fine, maybe I'll have to re-input a password or two someplace...

Hello everyone. I have been having the very same problem. The 'insufficient space, download failed.' status has been reappearing again and again on top of my screen. I'm using Oppo 5 on android 4.2 and nonrooted.

I noticed that the problem started after I installed Timbloader to download videos from Tumblr. But, even after I uninstalled it, the status just won't go away.

I have tried tapping on the status a bit longer and it says 'This notification is from the system. No need to change the status.' But it kept on reappearing and it really annoys me.

I've also tried some of those free apps cache cleaner and whatnot but none of them solve the problem.

How do I fix/remove this bugs permanently from my phone? Anyone has the solution?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670