Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Slight Delay/Lag Opening Contacts and Dialer in Note 3

Hey guys,

I notice a slight delay opening Contacts (3+ seconds) and Dialer (1+ seconds) in my Note 3.
    This happens when opening them for the first time. After they've been opened once, opening them the second time is instant.
    However, this happens again after I clear all the running apps and opening the Contacts and Dialer again (I clear them using the stock task manager, press and hold Home button).

I'm not sure if it happens right after unboxing (I didn't really pay attention to this at the time).
    But it could also happen after I turn off and uninstall updates on some of the bloatwares,
    or after I install the update to the bug in Keyboard from Samsung, though I'm not sure.

Specs:
    -Note 3 Exynos, Stock Samsung (no firmware update yet)
    -No New apps installed at all, just some updates to the bloatware and Keyboard Update from Samsung
    -800+ contacts, all google and synced together with gmail
    -The 3 settings in Development Mode (The animator, transition etc) are set to OFF
    -S Voice is removed from the Home Button

Does anyone experience the same problem? and is there a fix to it? I've already done a research in the forum and some of you seem to have the same problem (though not on Note 3), but I can't find any real fix.

Thanks!

Default Re: Slight Delay/Lag Opening Contacts and Dialer in Note 3

Welcome to Android Central! When you say it happens again after you clear running apps, do you mean that you're using a task killer? If so, I would advise against it. Starting an app up from scratch can take noticeably longer than if it is already active or cached in system RAM, and it will also take up more battery as well, since it requires more CPU power to start things up. The Dialer and Contacts app are so essential to the phone function that they really should never be closed.

If you're new to Android and how system RAM works and how apps are handled, please read this excellent article by Jerry Hildenbrand: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    Thanked by:
    surfol 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! When you say it happens again after you clear running apps, do you mean that you're using a task killer? If so, I would advise against it. Starting an app up from scratch can take noticeably longer than if it is already active or cached in system RAM, and it will also take up more battery as well, since it requires more CPU power to start things up. The Dialer and Contacts app are so essential to the phone function that they really should never be closed.

If you're new to Android and how system RAM works and how apps are handled, please read this excellent article by Jerry Hildenbrand: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    Hello, thanks for the reply and article. I didn't use any 3rd party task killer, just the press and hold Home button .
    Still looking for a fix

Do you mean you brought up the Recent Apps list and swiped all of the apps away?

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Do you mean you brought up the Recent Apps list and swiped all of the apps away?

Posted via Android Central App
    Yes, that's correct.
    If I do that, the next time I open it, there'll be a delay of 3 seconds+.
    I think that an Octa core high-end smartphone should be able to open a small app like Contacts instantly even though it's not already cached in the RAM.
    Opening a gmail that's not already cached in the RAM is actually even faster (1 second max)
    I was wondering if there's a fix to this, or is this a common and accepted issue in Android/Samsung smartphones?
    If yes, are there any recommended Contacts and Dialer apps/launcher that are fast?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Solved. It turned out that my issue was caused by turning off Chat ON app.
    I actually turned the Chat On off when I first got the phone, and now I tried to turn it back ON.

The lag has now been reduced to 1-1.5 seconds after turning the Chat On app back ON.
    If the contact has not been closed from the task manager, it's instant.
    So this is much more acceptable now.

Hope this helps others with the same issue.
    Thanked by:

Hey anyone find a solution to this? I have 9300 contacts and it is always really delayed when I open my contacts.

I have also same problem, I will try the suggested option.