Voice Input NEWLINE, punctuation, etc

bevhoward

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Been looking for this for the better part of a year, so, starting a new thread for others on the same quest.

While android voice recognition is good, it is poorly documented, and the (apparent) absence of any way to input "newline" via voice has been frustrating. Turns out, it's possible, but it can be "iffy"

"Newline" works following a "period" For example,

Hello period newline

"New Paragraph" works and adds two carriage returns without needing a leading period ...but not all the time.

Most punctuation works... period, comma, question mark, semicolon, colon, and I assume others, are there, but see below.

All of the above seem to rely on the adaptive recognition. All of the above was working well until I began tinkering with the input settings and downloaded the "offline dictionary" Hopefully, time will bring the learning back.

Hope that this information is of value.
Beverly Howard

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
good information, thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind. I don't use voice recognition as much as I should.

pS I just dictated this. The tips you gave actually work!

Posted via Android Central App

bevhoward

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't use voice recognition as much as I should.

It's not easy from a psychological standpoint either... feels funny and embarrassing to talk to a device. Also, if there are others around, it's _necessary_ to stop and tell them in advance that you will be talking to your device and not them ;-)

fwiw, I've been tinkering with voice input for years starting with the early PC programs and options, but, never really _used_ it... until... I had to go through chemotherapy a few months ago.

One of chemo's side effects (hopefully temporary) was severe palsy... when it was at it's worst, my arms and hands shook too much to type on a keyboard, much less a small screen, so, I started doing most of my correspondence and writing using voice input.

It took a lot more effort and practice than I expected to get to the point where using it was natural and easy, but, even without the need imposed by the palsy, I'm still using it for a lot of writing.

In other words, it's worth the effort to put the time in to learn to use this great option.

Beverly Howard

bevhoward

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Doing ok at the moment... however, only time will tell if the chemo was successful...

typing this using a keyboard ;-)

Beverly Howard

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz