Change phone model number...?

koloctopus

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello all!

A long time ago, when the Optimus V came out, I found a thread either on here or XDA about how to change the model number to think it was a different phone. I did this to allow for the usage of Netflix, and I think I may have changed it to a Nexus model... though I'm not entirely certain.

My current phone, the Optimus F7, is rooted and running stock Android 4.1.2 JB. (I rooted in order to allow for uninhibited tethering from my carrier.)
I have browsed here, XDA, and countless pages on Bing and Google... yet I have found nothing about doing this... to any phone.
My only desire (not the phone) is to make my F7 think it's - at least - a Galaxy S3. Many of my friends, coworkers and family have the S3 and I have helped them figure out things and solve problems on their phones, yet I find nothing on my own, so I simply wanted to turn it into an S3.

I am aware that I could simply get an S3, but I have had horrid luck with Samsung devices (not software) in the past, but have had wonderful luck with LG devices.

Thank you for any and all help regarding this! :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

A long time ago, when the Optimus V came out, I found a thread either on here or XDA about how to change the model number to think it was a different phone. I did this to allow for the usage of Netflix, and I think I may have changed it to a Nexus model... though I'm not entirely certain.

My current phone, the Optimus F7, is rooted and running stock Android 4.1.2 JB. (I rooted in order to allow for uninhibited tethering from my carrier.)
I have browsed here, XDA, and countless pages on Bing and Google... yet I have found nothing about doing this... to any phone.
My only desire (not the phone) is to make my F7 think it's - at least - a Galaxy S3. Many of my friends, coworkers and family have the S3 and I have helped them figure out things and solve problems on their phones, yet I find nothing on my own, so I simply wanted to turn it into an S3.

I am aware that I could simply get an S3, but I have had horrid luck with Samsung devices (not software) in the past, but have had wonderful luck with LG devices.

Thank you for any and all help regarding this! :)

Welcome to the forums.
I think that was a programming error on LG's part. I don't think you are finding it anymore because it can't be done without adverse effects.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

koloctopus

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
I think that was a programming error on LG's part. I don't think you are finding it anymore because it can't be done without adverse effects.

Ah, I see. Thank you, by the way; after trolling the forums for years, I suppose it was time to create an account.

The curious part of that, though, is that all I can remember was that I did it via terminal on the phone and modified just one or two lines of code. However, I suppose if it isn't doable any longer, then it isn't doable. No harm, no foul.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I see. Thank you, by the way; after trolling the forums for years, I suppose it was time to create an account.

The curious part of that, though, is that all I can remember was that I did it via terminal on the phone and modified just one or two lines of code. However, I suppose if it isn't doable any longer, then it isn't doable. No harm, no foul.

It may still be doable, just like I said, might be bad news if you tried.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Can't you just change your build.prop so that the store thinks you're another phone and you can get the app you're looking for?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can probably have the phone claim to be a different phone by changing build.prop or by running Market Helper, but that won't change what the phone actually is, or how it actually works. Changing the model is just using an alias when talking to the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678