Can anyone tell me how to save my contacts please?

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone :)

I have to get the sim card on my Galaxy S2 replaced tomorrow. My contacts are already in the "Google format" are they already backed up somewhere? eg to a Google type cloud. If yes will the Optus shop (who are going to do this), be able to do it? What I mean is, is it a simple process that they can do easily.

If they are not already backed up, is it something I can do fairly easily before I go in.

Last time this happened, a friend (who builds & fixes computers) "helped" me, and I lost most of my contacts. So Im a little nervous. :-\

Helen

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are three ways to add a contact to an Android phone.

1) Google contact.

2)
a) Phone contact on the phone.
b) Phone contact on the SIM card.

If your contacts are Google contacts, they're already at https://www.google.com/contacts/#contacts (just log into your account).

If they're on the phone or on the SIM card, change them to Google accounts (you can export them to a file [it's in the Contacts app menu], then import that file to the site). Make sure they show on the site before you do anything to the phone that might delete them.

In the future, make all your new contacts Google contacts, and they'll always be backed up. When you get a new phone, the phone will sync up to the site, and you'll have your contacts in the phone. Changing SIM cards won't affect your Google contacts.

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yaaaay! thats exactly what i was hoping to hear. Thankyou so much for answering, AND for the link! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds as if all your contacts are Google contacts, so changing the SIM card didn't change anything in the phone, as far as contacts go.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
At least your issue was solved pretty quickly. Just remember, like Rukbat said, to make you future contacts Google contacts, and this won't be an issue.

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes i was so relieved! Whenever i put a contact in it has google attached so i always assumed it was. Then assumed that wen it says my stuff/contacts has been backed up, that i can access them wen needed. But then panicked :eek: but all was aye ok :) and im keeping that link in case :p ta

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol