Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Angry Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    I got the phone from 3 UK on a contract in July, so phone's pretty new and not rooted or anything.
    Yesterday the phone started turning itself off at random times quite a lot.
    Battery could have been over 60%, at 30%, it was never with the same charge that it would happen, also never when doing the same thing on the phone.
    Usually when it's about to turn itself off, I lose signal completely, then the screen just goes black.
    When I try to turn it back on, it usually dies again at the 3 logo or even at the Samsung one and I have to try and turn it back on again. Sometimes I had to pull the battery out and connect it to the charger to make it boot up ok.
    After a couple of times it did that, it started going into a bootloop when attempting to turn it back on again after the random shutdown. Phone wasn't hot either.
    It had happened a few days before but just once not this many times in one single day.
    I removed the microSD card, since it makes the phone think the device has been modified and won't let me update, but the microSD works fine in my old Samsung smartphone and even with that removed, phone still turned itself off and then went into a bootloop.
    I think it might be the battery. Last time I was using the phone unplugged yesterday night, the battery went down to 33% charge in less than an hour and phone turned itself off. After managing to make it boot up again and connecting it to the charger, it was saying 60% charge. I doubt it could have gone up to 60% being plugged in just for a minute or so.
    So, I can certainly take it back to the store and have them fix it or buy a new battery and see if it solves the problem.
    Is it likely to be the battery that's malfunctioning?
    Lots of people on the Internet seem to have this problem and a few mention a swollen battery. They replaced the battery and phone was fine after. Mine seems ok, but I can't be sure.
    I don't understand why I seem to lose signal completely just before it switches itself off... it doesn't do it all the times, but a lot of the times yes.
    I have other phones on 3 and they didn't lose signal completely and anyway in my house coverage has always been excellent.
    I forgot to mention that once, while trying to restart the phone, I got this message, more or less: "Installing custom OS can damage your system or applications. Choose volume up to continue...". My phone's not rooted and I haven't installed any custom ROM!
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,625 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,900 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearts86 View Post
    I got the phone from 3 UK on a contract in July, so phone's pretty new and not rooted or anything.
    Yesterday the phone started turning itself off at random times quite a lot.
    Battery could have been over 60%, at 30%, it was never with the same charge that it would happen, also never when doing the same thing on the phone.
    Usually when it's about to turn itself off, I lose signal completely, then the screen just goes black.
    When I try to turn it back on, it usually dies again at the 3 logo or even at the Samsung one and I have to try and turn it back on again. Sometimes I had to pull the battery out and connect it to the charger to make it boot up ok.
    After a couple of times it did that, it started going into a bootloop when attempting to turn it back on again after the random shutdown. Phone wasn't hot either.
    It had happened a few days before but just once not this many times in one single day.
    I removed the microSD card, since it makes the phone think the device has been modified and won't let me update, but the microSD works fine in my old Samsung smartphone and even with that removed, phone still turned itself off and then went into a bootloop.
    I think it might be the battery. Last time I was using the phone unplugged yesterday night, the battery went down to 33% charge in less than an hour and phone turned itself off. After managing to make it boot up again and connecting it to the charger, it was saying 60% charge. I doubt it could have gone up to 60% being plugged in just for a minute or so.
    So, I can certainly take it back to the store and have them fix it or buy a new battery and see if it solves the problem.
    Is it likely to be the battery that's malfunctioning?
    Lots of people on the Internet seem to have this problem and a few mention a swollen battery. They replaced the battery and phone was fine after. Mine seems ok, but I can't be sure.
    I don't understand why I seem to lose signal completely just before it switches itself off... it doesn't do it all the times, but a lot of the times yes.
    I have other phones on 3 and they didn't lose signal completely and anyway in my house coverage has always been excellent.
    I forgot to mention that once, while trying to restart the phone, I got this message, more or less: "Installing custom OS can damage your system or applications. Choose volume up to continue...". My phone's not rooted and I haven't installed any custom ROM!
    Your phone is booting up weird. That last screen you mentioned is the boot loader.
    I would try to reboot into recovery, and clear cache. Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    This should work for an S4.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
  3. #3  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,625 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,900 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Almost forgot to mention...if that doesn't help, test the battery. Place it on a flat surface an with one finger try to spin it. If it spins easily by itself, then it it swollen an needs to be replaced.
    If the battery is fine, you may have to contact your carrier or Samsung for a replacement.

    From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    I will try wiping the cache. I ordered a replacement battery and will check if it does the same thing with the new battery.
  5. #5  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,625 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,900 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Quote Originally Posted by Hearts86 View Post
    I will try wiping the cache. I ordered a replacement battery and will check if it does the same thing with the new battery.
    Post a follow up please. I would be interested to know.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Still waiting for new battery.
    I tried to wipe the cache in recovery mode as suggested, but I got "error". Also, I removed the SD card now but the phone today told me again it's been modified when trying to look for updates, saying "custom" in device status.I thought the SD card was causing that but maybe it's something else (I think it started doing that after I enabled the developer options).
    I saw that after attempting to wipe the cache, which resulted in an error anyway, it's saying "official" again.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Update: I got my replacement battery today and it seems the issue is gone.
    The battery that came with the phone is undoubtedly swollen. I also noticed it was losing charge quite fast.
    I contacted Samsung but they wanted me to send the phone out for repair. I knew it was the battery causing the malfunctioning (they have admitted they know about the swollen batteries and said they invite users affected to go to their nearest Samsung Service Centre for a replacement battery free of charge) so I said I am willing to send them the faulty battery so that they can verify I am not lying and I expect them to send me a new battery free of charge.
    I was offered the repair as there isn't a service centre close to me apparently. I know others have simply phoned them up and Samsung said they would send a new battery, without having to send the phone back.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Hi, i just read your problem with your device. I have the same problem with my 3 months old S4. I was gonna try to go to the samsung experience center and get a new battery. My battery isnt flat at all and i cant keep my phone turned on for a couple of minutes. Did the new battery fix your problem? Thank you
  9. #9  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,625 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,900 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Quote Originally Posted by Boglarka Szabo View Post
    Hi, i just read your problem with your device. I have the same problem with my 3 months old S4. I was gonna try to go to the samsung experience center and get a new battery. My battery isnt flat at all and i cant keep my phone turned on for a couple of minutes. Did the new battery fix your problem? Thank you
    It looks like he hasn't been on in a while. If your battery can spin, I would highly suggest to get it replaced as soon as possible.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Question Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Hi,

    I have this problem too. My phone just started turning itself off. When I switched it on, it would get stuck in a loop of trying to reboot.
    Taking the battery out for 5 mins allowed to to boot up again but it has been unstable. Having read the above I have just watched the battery indicator go from 26% to 20% with in 5 mins. I removed the battery and it does seem to spin on my desk fairly easily, though it is not obvious to the eye that it is "swollen".
    When I re-inserted the battery, it showed as 29%
    Heading down to the O2 shop to see if I can get a replacement ... Will let you know the result.

    So, the man at the O2 shop said it looks like my battery is warped, (he has had TWO faulty batteries), but O2 do not stock them. I would have to send my phone away for at least 4 days. I found an article on The Guardian saying Samsung had acknowledged faulty batteries on the S4 so why are O2 not stocking them ?

    I had to buy a stand alone charger for a 2nd battery and it came with a battery. 39.99 !!!!!! - I can't be sending my phone away for 4 days (Idiots).

    So I still have a problem with my phone. A problem connecting it with Kies. It has taken numerous attempts. I actually went back and installed Kies 2 but it said I needed 3. It has just connected as I am typing this. So going to try a backup and then a factory reset. I have heard people commenting about "oh get over yourself" when others complain about the pre-installed software than you can't get rid of. This just adds to the potential of things going wrong. Why do samsung do it? I have no interest in Tripadvisor, ebay or other cr*p on my phone.

    So I did a factory reset (I actually thought this would put me back to the first android version, guess i didn't think about the word firmware too much lol.

    SO YES, REPLACING MY BATTERY SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED ... so far
    Last edited by Heathcliffe2000; 12-08-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: updates
  11. #11  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,625 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,900 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Quote Originally Posted by Heathcliffe2000 View Post
    Hi,

    I have this problem too. My phone just started turning itself off. When I switched it on, it would get stuck in a loop of trying to reboot.
    Taking the battery out for 5 mins allowed to to boot up again but it has been unstable. Having read the above I have just watched the battery indicator go from 26% to 20% with in 5 mins. I removed the battery and it does seem to spin on my desk fairly easily, though it is not obvious to the eye that it is "swollen".
    When I re-inserted the battery, it showed as 29%
    Heading down to the O2 shop to see if I can get a replacement ... Will let you know the result.

    So, the man at the O2 shop said it looks like my battery is warped, (he has had TWO faulty batteries), but O2 do not stock them. I would have to send my phone away for at least 4 days. I found an article on The Guardian saying Samsung had acknowledged faulty batteries on the S4 so why are O2 not stocking them ?

    I had to buy a stand alone charger for a 2nd battery and it came with a battery. 39.99 !!!!!! - I can't be sending my phone away for 4 days (Idiots).

    So I still have a problem with my phone. A problem connecting it with Kies. It has taken numerous attempts. I actually went back and installed Kies 2 but it said I needed 3. It has just connected as I am typing this. So going to try a backup and then a factory reset. I have heard people commenting about "oh get over yourself" when others complain about the pre-installed software than you can't get rid of. This just adds to the potential of things going wrong. Why do samsung do it? I have no interest in Tripadvisor, ebay or other cr*p on my phone.

    So I did a factory reset (I actually thought this would put me back to the first android version, guess i didn't think about the word firmware too much lol.

    SO YES, REPLACING MY BATTERY SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED ... so far
    There are some apps you can disable: [GUIDE] How to Disable Apps

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Hi All,

    I had the same problem with my 2 month old S4, the phone would turn off, then re-boot several times and if I was lucky eventually boot up. I checked the battery and found it was slightly swollen, Samsung are aware of the issue (must be a batch of faulty batteries) and will replace your battery free charge, provided you can prove purchase of the phone.

    If you live in London head down to the Samsung repair centre, The Business Design Centre, 52 Upper Street, Angel, London N1 0QH (Tel: 020 7354 8094). Take your phone and purchase receipt to the repair centre, they will replace the battery within 5 minutes. If you got your phone on contract, head into any one of your service provider stores and ask them to print you off a confirmation of the purchase.

    Good Luck
    Thanked by 2:
  13. #13  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,760 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Galaxy S4 randomly turns itself off and goes into bootloop

    Cool, thanks for the information chibi77. I've had similar issues with prior devices and it's always turned out to be the battery.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. Note 3 and AWS bands
    By tripper2108 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 03:36 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2013, 12:31 PM
  3. Mobile Network Shuts Off
    By bill51 in forum Sprint Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM
  4. 30 Beta Testers Wanted for Official MIUI V5 for Galaxy S4 i9500!
    By hzl123 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 07:34 AM
  5. Pinnatta - Interactive messages and greeting cards
    By pinnatta_app in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 05:09 AM

Posting Permissions

B