1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default music player question

I'm pretty sure this is an android question. It pertains to the music players on my Samsung Tab2 10.1. I sync with my laptop's Itunes via ISyncr. I also have Rocket Player (paid version) on the tablet - but this issue also occurs with Google Play Music (Just fwiw, I like both players, they have similar functionality for what I use... I got the Rocket Player when I got the Isyncr, before I actually tried the Google Player, which turns out to be just fine.... I happen to like the way the album covers/graphics appear on the Rocket Player when it's playing).

I do understand how the music files are stored on my tablet. I have the ISyncr set to store on a specific folder on the tablet, and I also sync to a special folder on a special "music only" micro SD card. I know how to find those folders and can add or delete files from them manually if I want.

I keep a large music library on the microSD card, but also keep some playlists music "permanently" on the tablet. I do this because I have several microSD cards, each for a different purpose - one with a bunch of movies, one with the large music library, one with a large photo library. I like to have at least some music on the tablet when I'm using one of the other cards (I also have a couple of movies and some specific photo albums on the tablet for the same purpose). Hope that makes sense.

The problem is that when I have the "music" SD card in the tablet, and then go to play an album (as opposed to a playlist), if any of the songs on that album are also on the one of the playlists I have also installed on the tablet itself, those songs are now doubled within that album. So, last night for instance, I was playing a Beatles album that I have stored on the SD card. Seven of the songs on that album were doubled when I opened and played that album, because those seven songs happen to be on one of the playlists sync'd to the tablet itself.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Can I simply re-scan for music when I install the "music" SD card and tell the player (either Rocket or Google Play) to only scan on the SD card? Will it "forget" about the files on the tablet? And then when I remove that card and go to play music later, the player would automatically scan all music sources on the device and find those "permanently installed" playlists.

I'm just wondering if that's the solution or if there's anything that is a "duh" solution that I haven't thought of.

Thanks
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: music player question

OK, answering my own question for posterity with a big, as predicted, "duh"

All I need to do is go into the player's setting and tell it to scan only the SD card, not the device, then rescan. Takes about 18 seconds and now all albums are as they should be, no double songs.

[edit] The above works easily with Rocket Player - there's an easy to find setting that tells the player to only scan certain folders or locations. I cant' seem to find the same setting on the Google music player that came with the device. So there's an advantage to Rocket Player. Other than that, I liked them both equally.
    Last edited by Camilo; 10-25-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Global Posts
    13,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: music player question

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    OK, answering my own question for posterity with a big, as predicted, "duh"

All I need to do is go into the player's setting and tell it to scan only the SD card, not the device, then rescan. Takes about 18 seconds and now all albums are as they should be, no double songs.

[edit] The above works easily with Rocket Player - there's an easy to find setting that tells the player to only scan certain folders or locations. I cant' seem to find the same setting on the Google music player that came with the device. So there's an advantage to Rocket Player. Other than that, I liked them both equally.
    Welcome to the forums.
    Glad you have found out something that works.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here