how do I simply delete/edit a contact?

ralf23446

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I was tinkering around before activating the phone. Aparently I have a 'me' in my contacts I guess is shown to other android users in addition to what they have my # saved as. I aparently entered jumbled letters for this and can't delete or edit it. I also have a few other contacts I made while tinkering that don't have phone numbers. There seems to be no way to delete or edit the 'me' or the contacts with no #s or even the contacts with #s. Except for adding a photo.

I tried everything I could think of, pressing and holding down the names and everything and sliding, etc etc in the 'people' app and when pressing the phone icon which bring up different screens. The names in my 'people' that don't have a # saved don't show up when I click the phone icon to dial, but that's besides the point.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think you just open it and press the menu key (3 lines or dots) for options (edit, delete, etc.).

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think you just open it and press the menu key (3 lines or dots) for options (edit, delete, etc.).

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
Yes, to edit a contact you need to press menu then select edit. From there you should be able to delete the contact.

ralf23446

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to mention this is a jelly bean ZTE AWE.
Now that the phone's activated, I can hold down pressed on the number and 'edit it before calling' , but I still can't figure out how to edit the name or just delete the contact.
The 'me' jumbled letters is gone now that I activated the phone and are replaced with my #.
All the contacts I saved when the phone wasn't activated are gone now that the phone's activated and it did a factory reset all settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you want to edit contacts, you need to do it from the Contacts or People app. It sounds like you're trying to edit from the Dialer/Phone app, which generally doesn't have an edit function.

Posted via Android Central App

jaime1822

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Tap on the person that needs edited. There should be a pencil looking icon in the upper right corner. You can edit anything in the contact from there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you are in the Contacts or People app, select the contact, then press the Menu button. You should see options to Edit or Delete. As mentioned above, make sure you're in the Contacts app, not the Phone Dialer.

ralf23446

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
lol, that doesn't work. By default (because I haven't made a google account to get more apps). I only have a People app, nothing titled Contacts. I go to the people one which lists my contacts and tried everything. I'm not really worried about it now, but it's baffling.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd still like to get to the bottom of this, though. The People app is the stock Google contacts app (I only mentioned a Contacts app in case it was called something different on your device--it can differ depending on the device manufacturer). With the People app, tell us: what do you see when you select a contact and then tap the Menu button (either the hard menu button or the 3 vertical dots menu button on the screen)? Do you see any Delete option at all?

jaime1822

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
lol, that doesn't work. By default (because I haven't made a google account to get more apps). I only have a People app, nothing titled Contacts. I go to the people one which lists my contacts and tried everything. I'm not really worried about it now, but it's baffling.

Is there anyway you can upload a screenshot, with name and number blacked out of course, so we can see what you are seeing?

Posted via Android Central App on my Big Red LG G2

ralf23446

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
sorry such big photos.
First I click the icon on the bottom of the person with no nose or eyes (the phone icon gives me even less options).
Then it shows all my contacts. I clicked the one I named 'Test' w/ Phone # 555-555-5555.
I think I tried everything but can't edit the name/number/delete it.
I checked through all my stock app - The closest thing I have to edit/delete contacts I'm thinking is the People app (which is what these pictures are from).
So, do I need to DL an app or something to edit/delete contacts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are any of those screenshots from pressing the main menu button (either a hard menu button on the phone or a soft menu button in the lower or upper margins, looking like 3 vertical dots)? The 3rd screenshot looks like you long-pressed the face, which is just prompting you to add a picture for your contact. The 4th screenshot looks like you just long-pressed the phone number. There should be a separate menu button--it would help if the 1st screenshot showed the whole screen, since the menu button may be at the bottom of the screen. If your phone has a hard menu button, try pressing that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You're tapping (pressing for about a second or less?) the name of the contact, right? Long-press it (hold it down for about 3 seconds). When you let go, a menu will pop up. Delete should be down at the bottom of that menu (you'll have to scroll down). Tap Delete and the contact will be gone. (I don't remember if it asks you if you're sure you want to delete it.)

BTW, that second icon at the bottom of the home screen, the blue/white one with the face, is your "contacts".

ralf23446

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Open you're contacts/people app, tap on the contact in the list you want to edit, and then somewhere on the screen will be a pencil icon,... tap that and you will be able to edit all fields.

My screen shot is from my "Me" contact entry in Android 4.1.2. Jelly Bean.

The second photo I uploaded is what you're saying should show the pencil icon, but it's not there (eventhough the bottom section of the screen shot isn't shown).

"You're tapping (pressing for about a second or less?) the name of the contact, right? Long-press it (hold it down for about 3 seconds). When you let go, a menu will pop up."

Both methods bring up the same menu which is the second screen shot I posted.

I'm begining to think I got a defected /buggy phone or something. I got it right after it was released. I updated all the options in system updates (PRL, Profile ZTE software etc), but it's the same. I contacted virgin mobile and linked this thread to see what they say about this and possibly a warranty replacement phone.

All I can do is shown in the photos (add photo per contact, copy # to clipboard etc).

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You still haven't mentioned what happens if you press the phone's capacitative Menu button when you're on the contact's screen.

ralf23446

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
There's no three verticle dots anywhere. All I access is show in photos. The only place I see 3 verticle dots is when I enter the app/whatever to make a phone call by pressing the icon that looks like a phone, but those 3 dots lead me to phone settings of no help.

I think I have a buggy phone. Virgin Mobile was basically no help. There seems to be major menus missing. I also can't edit how much the screen lock prevents but read that it can be altered (I want to block incoming calls and showing the #, but w/ screen locked, I can answer calls and read the contact info despite screenlock is aparently easily cracked). With the latest/2nd latest Android version jellybean, I would think this is standard and not left out since my phone was cheap like $99 when I got it.

Because of a sort of radiation phobia and I barely use the thing, I actually opted to get this 3G phone instead of spending just like $40 more for a 4G lte phone with much better CPU and ram etc. But if I can't figure out how to fix these problems or get it replaced under warranty, I guess I'll sell it used and get the 4GLTE one.